SW question

CTU24

Small Fish
May 16, 2004
New York
www.freewebs.com
I know just about NOTHING when it comes to a SW tank. I have a 33 tall and would like to know how I should go about setting it up I have a crap filter (wisper) so I would need another one I was thinking a Penguin 170 I have that on my FW 38 and it seems to work really well. I like the whole Bio Wheel thing. Also I plan on moving to a 55 gal with my salt water within the year I don't really have room for anything bigger so I guess that is the best I could do. Please tell me what I am looking at in terms of cost I am going to do a fishless cycle so I assume I have a month to a month and a half to get everything but some things I will need right away. For instance I have never done a fishless ycle so I am not really sure how to do i so there maybe some mistakes and I don't want to hurt any of my fish so I will need to be VERY sure that the tank is done before moving on. Also I need Gravel I have Gravel but it was from my last fish tank and Amonia was pouredf on it when my fish decided to commit suicide (long story) I am sorry this is so long I just really would like to start a SW tank and my LFS told me don't do anything under 55 gal but I see some people talking about 30 gal so I figure I ould do it. I want nice color and all levels being used so any ideas on that would be great. Oh and a Sea Hourse so anything special for them addd I know they are a pain but I REALLY like them.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Forget biowheels and everything you've learnt in freshwater. Prepare to do a lot of reading - the recommendations are in other threads in this forum. Try reading the sticky I have in here about my new 30, then when you've done the reading ask questions about what you don't understand or are unsure about and we can help, otherwise I will be writing a very long response (and I am too lazy for that). Start with a cost assumption of 10 dollars a gallon.
Good luck

CTU24

Small Fish
May 16, 2004
New York
www.freewebs.com
Tank you so about $300 before fish give or take. I may beable to get alittle cheaper because on somethings I get at cost to the store.

Ok first question what should I expect from live rock? I know you can get it cured and not cured but I amunsure of what that even means. I have never done a SW tank so it is alittle hard for me.

Last edited:

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
read, we should not be your first option, if you work at a pet store then there must be books there, buy them and read them, they will explain this difference and many others, please just go read a book!!!!

CTU24

Small Fish
May 16, 2004
New York
www.freewebs.com
I don't work at a pet store my friemd owns one. I have looked into this red like 2 books and that stiky post and I am still clueless as to what cured means. If you don't want to answer my question that is fine then just ignore my post

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
yeah---u gotta read like crazy
do u mean u want to keep seahorses? those are definetly not for beginners--they require live foods and all sorts of other things....
curing is when your live rock sits somewhere and nitrifying bacteria is established--this is cycling in sw tanks--anyone else please help out on explaining curing

CTU24

Small Fish
May 16, 2004
New York
www.freewebs.com
ok I think I got it. With settung up my tank and taking care of it my friend who owns my LFS (kinda far for a LFS but we can call it that) can help me out alot but I noticed he doesn't always know everything. In a SW tank you still have to cycle it right?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Without wanting to seem rude start with reading the stickied thread on how I set up my 30 gallon. This explains curing and filtration. Then get reading. I don't mind answering questions but I've got to have done this at least 10 times on this forum alone, and it's a lot of typing. What's the filtration setup at your friends store ? Do they sell live rock? Ask him how he cures it?.

CTU24

Small Fish
May 16, 2004
New York
www.freewebs.com
Ok but I going to type whay he says in here because I find that people in here know ALOT more then my friend or the other LFS in the area. I did read your sticky but it is ALOT to take in at once. For 1 my friend told me it is a waist of time to even set up a 30 gal for sw he says anything under 55 is WAY to hard and not worth it.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I am not trying to be rude, i am all for helping out people with legitimate questions, but the questions your asking should be answered by most salt water books so i think maybe you bought the wrong ones, just for starters a very simple book that explains many of these questions which i own a copy of myself(along with about 10 other book refreences) is Salt water aquariums for dummies, not the best resource but it will answer 99% of the questions your asking, and u must understand our reluctance to answer questions has to do with the fact that there are people on here everyday who are lazy and instead of actually reading just come and post on an internet cite which should never be the first resource
Brahm

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I am not trying to be rude, i am all for helping out people with legitimate questions, but the questions your asking should be answered by most salt water books so i think maybe you bought the wrong ones, just for starters a very simple book that explains many of these questions which i own a copy of myself(along with about 10 other book refreences) is Salt water aquariums for dummies, not the best resource but it will answer 99% of the questions your asking, and u must understand our reluctance to answer questions has to do with the fact that there are people on here everyday who are lazy and instead of actually reading just come and post on an internet cite which should never be the first resource
Brahm

CTU24

Small Fish
May 16, 2004
New York
www.freewebs.com
Well at lest someone finally gave me a book name. before everyone was just saying read a book. There are ALOT of bad books out there. I am sure that I have read 2 bad ones. Or ment for people who knew more then I did.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Get The New Marine Aquarium by Mike Paletta. It explains the basic start-up of the marine aquarium utilizing live rock and a protein skimmer.

First read as much as you can. Look and research certain products you may want to purchase, ask us, then purchase.

My recommendation is to start with live rock and a protein skimmer. There really isnt any need for a HOB filter unless you want to use it for water movement or mechanical/chemical filtration(I personally dont use it)

Sam Reef