SW tank is cycling

Jamarr

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
Florida
Should I add some hearty fish to my tank now that it is cycling or should I wait?
pH is at 7.8 and ammonia is up, doing some water changes(2-3wk). Im reading up and they are not being quite frank about should I wait after the 6-8wks or should I add the hearty fish now?

susieq728

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2010
Midway, GA
How long have you had your tank going? You can add a few fish (damsels are good for a new tank, but I'd personally suggest getting rid of them later) if you desire, just be careful. What are you looking for, reef tank, or non coral demonimated?

Jamarr

Small Fish
May 16, 2010
Florida
I am not doing a reef tank just fish and rock. My ammonia is very high. And there is alot of algae growing in it now, I took out the 2 fish and the two snails I had in. I had the tank approximately 15 days.

susieq728

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2010
Midway, GA
Do water changes every two weeks. I'd do about 15%. A clown can prob. live through the ammonia after another few weeks, but only one as like others have posted, the waste boosts the natural cycle. Your tank is still VERY new. Although with introducing as much life into it as you have may have sped it up some. Did you remove the dead snails? Try some emerald crabs or some spider crabs (make sure they're reef safe, I have a non coral denominated tank and if that's what you want later you don't want something that will eat your coral)and get a few new snails. Get a good clean up crew going first. Don't add anything else for a month or so at least. Let the tank naturally cycle via water changes. Slowly add more livestock. Crabs are good for eating any excess food once you do introduce fish. But with a starter tank, no fish at that size I'd say you only need two at best. I believe emerald crabs are omnivores and will eat algae as well. You have to remember the smaller the tank the more damaging the death of a single fish can do. If you don't remove it immediately or have an outstanding clean up crew, you'll have the same problem if it was to happen again.

Once you do introduce fish (most prob. wouldn't recommend it this early but again, damsels are hearty, yet annoying. You can get a small one and it would likely help the process along with a good clean up crew. Just don't be surprised once your tank is established to desire to give it back to your livestock supplier.)

What kind of filter are you using?

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
Don't put a fish in with the ammonia at 8. I'd just let it run like it is. The bacteria will start multiplying and begin breaking down the ammonia. Once the ammonia and nitrites are at 0 add a fish. Damsels are hardy and there's a few that are not obnoxious like most are. The Talbot and Springerii damsels are mild mannered along with the chromis.

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
I would wait too. But you should put your clean up crew in for a couple weeks prior to your fish. When your ammonia and nitrites are at zero for three days you can start adding your clean up crew. And also do water changes to get your nitrates down.

susieq728

Medium Fish
Jan 31, 2010
Midway, GA
Foggy? Whoa, your Ammonia must still be WAYYY high. Yeah, at 8 it's prob. too high even for a clean up crew like Fishmonger said. Wait until you have it down. Your clean up crew can survive (not necessarily happily, but mine did when I was horrid at changing my water) at levels as high as 1. But, get it down quick. Just do water changes for a while and give it time. Time is really the best answer. Too frequent water changes will take out any good bacteria that you will start to have growing in the tank.