sw tanks?

Oct 9, 2003
england-nottingham
Visit site
im thinking about starting up a sw tank i have 2 fw, but i went to fish store the other day and they just looked so colourful, i got pretty interested. And i was wondering if any one had any info on how much the tank (preferably with built in pump, filter etc) water and plants and reef would cost i have a coupe of hundred quid to blow n i thought i may get 1.

thanking in advance

Angel fish boi

p.s english sites, prices and stuff would be preffered.

Angelfish boi those tanks that you are talking about with th built in filter are not recomended for salt water. All the filtering material will become a nitrate facyory after awhile.

You would be best to buy just a straight tank, Live rock(at least 1 pound per US gallon), Sand for DSB(Deep san Bad) at least 4", and a couple of powerheads. Ok that filtration taken care of:)

Ok you will need a few test kits and a hydrometer, the initial test kits you will need are:

Amonia (You probably already have one of these for FW)
Nitrates, Nitrites (As above)
Ph (you will need a high range ph kit)

The rest you can worry about when you have your tank cycled.

Hope this helps

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site
I am in the process of setting up a 29g fish only tank with crushed coral substrate and 40lbs of live rock. I also have an Ebo-Jagger heater, Prizm skimmer, and an Eheim Pro 2224 filter. Just the stuff mentioned was around $500. Plus the cost of testing stuff, salt, hydrometer, maybe a water filter of some sort, corals or decorations, chemicals and buffers, special lighting (if you get corals $$$$), and of course, the fish! I couldn't believe how much more SW is, but I'm not turning back now, I am hooked!! If you can afford it, go for it, but beware. Good luck!!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Do you get practical fishkeeping? Last year Phil Hunt ran a 4 part series on how to set up a marine tank , which run him about 700 - get a copy of those articles. Also see if you can visit some shops and talk about what the recommnd and sell. See if you can see an AquaMedic Chromis setup - I think they're 500, for a 2 ft cube with all stuff, though you'd still need live rock, salt and test kits.
Unfortunately there's quite a high startup invest ment. Forget using a juwel - yes it can be done , but it calls for a ton of modifications, none of which are cheap