SWIM BLADDER

falcon4

Small Fish
Jun 10, 2004
Visit site
NOTICED YESTERDAY MY BETTA (PRIDE AND JOY) HAS STARTED SWIMMING ON HIS SIDE AND STRUGGLING TO THE SURFACE. TREATED THE TANK WITH AN ANTI BACTERIAL TREATMENT AND STOPPED FEEDING.
CAME HOME TODAY AND MY PRIDE AND JOY HAS HARDLY ANY FINS LEFT, BECAUSE HE COULDNT DEFEND HIMSELF THE RAMS AND FEMALE FIGHTERS HAVE BEEN FEASTING ON HIM. HAVE NOW PUT HIM IN HIS OWN TANK AND HE LOOKS A LOT HAPPIER.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR HIS FINS TO GROW BACK TO THERE FORMER STATE.

falcon4

Small Fish
Jun 10, 2004
Visit site
yes he was in with three females. they get on well and the females only hassel each other.
he rules the tank and all the other fish stay well away.
someone else told me not to put females in but they are all fine.
my mum has 2 females with a male and her's are the same they dont bother each other.
i think our uk bettas are much more tollerant than yours in the u.s.

prob not

how long have these bettas been together? I tried a "not recommended" setup with a betta and a gourami in the same tank...things were BLISS for a few months...then they had a big fight and my betta ended up getting beat up pretty bad. Moved my betta to a 5 gallon of his own and he is TRULY a happier fish.

As you can see by what has already happened...yes, if everything is perfect those fish will handle being togther...but if one little thing changes (i.e. your betta getting swim bladder) all hell breaks loose. You also have to think about why your betta got SBD...it doesn't just happen. Is he gulping his food because of all the competition in his tank? Bettas (especially males) are SOLITARY fish...they don't need or want buddies, and are often unduly stressed when we force them into that type of a situation.