Swimmin' funny...

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
One of my neon tetras doesn't look right...he is swimming at a 45 degree angle (up) constantly, unlike all the other tetras who swim in a straight line. He is very spazzy moving all over the tank. The other fish are also swimming around but in a much calmer manner. I can't tell if he has a damaged fin because he is so small and jittery. His swimming pattern does not affect his ability to get out of the way of other fish or to swim for food...but its still bothering me because it looks so awkward and uncomfortable. Does this indicate a health problem or something?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
What happens when he gets to the top of the water or to a wall? Also is he eating? From the sound of it hes eating which is a good sign. Does he school at all or is he constantly alone?

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
When he gets to a wall or the top, he will either swim along it or float back down, turn around (he can still move in all directions more or less). Yes, he is eating...he actively "chases" down the flakes and he is in his school most of the time but he is also comfortable enough to be on is own. He doesn't seem to look too sickly but very, very awkward. Then again, I've never owned fish before! I am thinking maybe he is just missing a fin...but I really can't tell because he never stays still and his fins are clear. If that's the case, will it grow back?