Swordtail problem

Oct 21, 2005
I added 2 swordtails to my 20g tank and so far all they have done is sit on the bottom. All of my other fish are doing great so I can't figure it out. Are they just aclimating to the auqarium? I'm hoping that they do better in the morning.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It's always hard to tell in the first few hours how a fish is doing, unless you see it on its side, breathing very heavily or very pale (i.e. it's in trouble). How did you acclimate them?

I would wait until the morning before making a judgement.

Oct 21, 2005
I had them floating in there bags for about 45min. then I cut the bag open and let them swim out. At first they swam like crazy from the surface to the bottom and ack again, it looked like they where going to try and jump out.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It's usually a good idea to acclimate fish by adding a little tank water to the bag every 10 or 15 minutes while you float the bag, after the temps are equal. Unless you're sure the water at the store has the same parameters as yours, fish can suffer from pH or hardness shock when you add them to the tank. More sensitive fish can really suffer (even die) from this, but hopefully your swordtails will deal with it well.

Charlius

Medium Fish
Sep 18, 2005
All true. From your description, though, it sounds a whole lot like the fish are just shy and getting used to their new surroundings and inhabitants. Hope that's the case, rather than the alternative :) !

Oct 21, 2005
This morning my male swordtail was swimming around but the female was still sitting on the bottom.

Edit: Sad update the female didn't make it.

Last edited: