Tail bitten

jusdeb

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2007
regional NSW Australia
NOT very happy at the moment...I bought a betta from a breeder in Thailand who shipped him to our transhipper in Brisbane Australia where he arrived thin and weak.THANKS to our excellent transhipper he was quaranteened and fed up till he was back in good condition.THEN he had a 2 day journey to me in NSW ,he arrived in top condition without a fin out of place.I settled him into a 20 litre tank with 5 white cloud minnows and watched them closely,they all seemed fine together.THEN I had a short 5 hour shift at work and came home to my beautiful little fish with CHUNKS out of his tail.Needless to say the minnows are in another tank now(nearly went for a ride on the porcelan water ride)and Im left wondering how long before his tail mends AND do I need to watch out for infection or any other funky stuff.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
It should mend on it's own, but if you want to help it heal faster and reduce the risk of infection you can add some melafix. Smells good and won't hurt anything that you might have in the tank.