Tank Background Color Choices

J_E_F_F

New Fish
Mar 4, 2006
We are planning to set up a 65 gallon tank. The tank is here waiting for us to decide on something to put it on. Once that is done, the set up will begin.

I'd like a solid color background for the tank, and I was thinking BLACK.
We plan to use the tank for goldfish, and will have plenty of light. We also want at least a couple of live plants, and some silk ones. Will a black background look too dark, or will it be a nice contrast for viewing of the goldfish?

I am worried that a solid blue may be a bit bright.

Reading this forum, someone tried and really liked the sticky backgrounds sold here Ebay Link, but they seem to come 18x48 and my 65 gallon tank is 24x36.
I emailed the seller to see if they do custom sizes, if not, does anyone have other recommendations for solid backgrounds in the larger size? If I used 2, I would see a seam across the entire width of the tank.

Does anyone have pics of their tank with a back background they would like to share?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I use black trash bags on my tanks.

Heres my 55 gallon:

and my 25 gallon:

(sorry that 55 gallon pic is so big)

Welcome to MFT!*SUNSMILE*

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
I use corkboard behind my Asian tank. It goes perfectly with the Fluorite and looks dark and organic. Plus the mottled appearance suggests rock or wood. You can't really see it now though because it's heavily planted. So here is a pic of my 5g betta world that uses the corkboard as well:

Behind my Amazon tank I was a little more creative. I bought a piece of styrofoam insulation (Lowe's) the height and length of the tank. Took some black spray paint and sprayed it. (The original intention was just to make it black, but I stupidly forgot that the polyurethane in the paint would melt the styrofoam.)

But the result was quite good - it ended up melting it in certain places and not fully adhering to it. So what I got was a three dimensional rocky looking background that I wouldn't replace for the world. Only thing is you have to let it sit outside for a few days because boy does it smell while it cures.

Last edited:

J_E_F_F

New Fish
Mar 4, 2006
Thanks for all the replies and images. The stand project has begun. The basic frame is complete, we are eating lunch now, then the Maple finishing wood can begin :)