Tank before and after pictures

G35_TX

Small Fish
Aug 19, 2005
Welp, I had a lot of problems with NITRATE sky hi, that I decided it was time to dump the rocks and redo the whole tank. Got rid of the UGF as well.

Before and before the fish died

After:

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Ohhhh.....I LIKE it! I like it a LOT! *thumbsup2
The sand looks great, you must have done a great job rinsing it because it doesn't look one bit cloudy. It looks so much cleaner and sharper now....
What do you have for filtration and (sorry!) what size is it? I can see two filters.
Sand really isn't that much harder to clean than gravel, in fact I find it MUCH easier. Instead of shoving the vacuum into the gravel, all you need to do is hover it over the sand's surface and all the poo gets sucked up.
Great job!!!!

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
what an awesome improvement! as everyone has said ... what a difference just changin the substrate made! to echo f8fan: it looks so much cleaner and less cluttered with the sand. a much more polished look. i'm also glad you ditched the background. has more of a contemporary feel now.

G35_TX

Small Fish
Aug 19, 2005
f8fan said:
Ohhhh.....I LIKE it! I like it a LOT! *thumbsup2
The sand looks great, you must have done a great job rinsing it because it doesn't look one bit cloudy. It looks so much cleaner and sharper now....
What do you have for filtration and (sorry!) what size is it? I can see two filters.
Sand really isn't that much harder to clean than gravel, in fact I find it MUCH easier. Instead of shoving the vacuum into the gravel, all you need to do is hover it over the sand's surface and all the poo gets sucked up.
Great job!!!!

I spent about 5 minutes per half a bucket of sand rinsing it. It worked. As soon as I put the water in there last night there was no cloudyness! :) But I gave it a day for the pumps to do their job.

Filtration is Emperior 400 on the right, and a Hot Magnum 200 I believe on the left with bio wheel. It's a 75 gallon.

Thanks!! So far I am much happier! Hope they do better this time around.