Tank Bred Fish Vs. Wild Fish

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Wild caught can be harder to get to eat prepared foods and overall longevity. I prefer tank raised/bred over wild because they are usually harder. Also, you are conserving fish and corals of the oceans.

Yes, wild are usually more expensive because it took more time and resources to catch them vs scooping them out of a tank.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Also as a reefer you should do everything in your power to preserve the natural reefs. By buying only captive bred you are not only getting the benefit of years of research and the hardiness of animals that are already conditioned to captive life but you are also not promoting the raping of the natural resource by some unscrupulous people that are only trying to make a quick dollar at the expense of the resource. Take Bangaii cardinals for instance......easily bred in captivity and getting rarer and rarer in their limited natural habitat by the pressure of collection.......another note.....there is a neon green kenya tree softie that is virtually extinct in the wild due to a natural disaster on Palau where it was from.......these are thriving within the captive community were they are fragged and passed amongst hobbyist and will someday hopefully be reintroduced to the wild.....

Jumping off my soapbox........

Dino

Large Fish
Mar 3, 2007
90 degrees north
The same thing is going on in freshwater as well.

Sid loaches were/are being over collected and threatened.
On the other hand, a lot of the wild species of swordtail livebearer are being threatened by habitat distruction and the introduction of non native fishes for recreation fishing. Populations of these fish need to be established in the hobby, so that they do not dissappear forever.

This is something I am currently trying to do with the fishhouse.
We have over a dozen species of threatened livebearer we are working with.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I have noticed as well with wild caught fish they tend to be more agressive and sometimes a lil hardier. but tank bred fish tend to be more adaptible and a little bit calmer depending on the spiecies. My lfs had some tiger muskies some tank raised some wild caught. the wild caught ones even though smaller killed all the tank raised.