Tank from Scratch

May 4, 2005
UK
Hello there, I have been scouring the forums for information, and before this I didnt realise how much effort was required to keep a tank (in excellent condition). I have had two tanks in the past, the last of which I passed on my fish to another because I was so darn busy.

Anyway, I have got a 10.5 Gallon (U.S) tank.. Its in pieces at the moment because the bottom was leaking. While I reseal it, I want to gather the equipment required for a planted tropical tank. I have been looking on eBay at eheim can filters, but dont really know which model to get for the size of my tank.

Lighting is also something i dont fully get. My "lid" has a fitting for one lamp only, with no reflectors, and my power supply only supports one light fitting (although i have 2 different supplies for different bulb thinknesses). Would I be able to buy reflectors to fit 2 bulbs (if required) and a power supply which allows for 2 bulbs?

Sorry if these are very n00b questions, and if im asking whats already been answered, I just need pointing in the right direction :confused: .

Pharalia

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Can filters might be a bit pricey. You might consider a HOB (Hang On Back) with a flow control to minimize surface agitation for the plants, although I haven't experienced any problems running a correctly sized HOB w/ a planted tank. If you like Eheim, they make a HOB with excellent reviews. I would suggest the next size up from the mfr's recommendation ... .i.e. if the mfr. says a filter will do for a 10G tank ... go the next size up.

Is your hood set up for incandescent or fluorescent bulbs? You might try a retro-fit outfit from a supplier in the UK. You should be able to get one that allows for two fluorescent bulbs. There may also be a retro-fit kit for a power compact bulb that would give you plenty of light.

One thing I might mention ... if you are looking towards a planted tank ... you might want to check out substrate material. That is, something like Fluorite, or Eco-Complete. These are nutrient enriched gravel-like substances. Some may be used alone as the gravel and substrate, or a layer of the material with gravel over it.

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
revfred said:
One thing I might mention ... if you are looking towards a planted tank ... you might want to check out substrate material. That is, something like Fluorite, or Eco-Complete. These are nutrient enriched gravel-like substances. Some may be used alone as the gravel and substrate, or a layer of the material with gravel over it.
This is going to be very important, whether or not you're going to inject CO2 into the tank or not. I have Flourite in a 10 gallon right now, and I have it mixed in with my other gravel. It gives it a really nice natural look, and contains many nutrients that the plants need. Just beware that you will need to rise Flourite really really well, and if you just throw it in the tank first, your tank will be black with all the dust and dirt on it. Other than that, keep us posted and good luck!

May 4, 2005
UK
well, my hood is one of those cheap plastic things which rely on externally-added lighting kits (flourescent). i just found some reflectors here but i dont think the hood could take two (or look nice lol). Where would I go about buying a new one, and might it be hard to find one which fits my specs (Which are unknown til i get some sealer..).

The reason i thought about a can is that I would be able to use it on larger tanks in the future, as i will be using this tank for educational purposes, though a HOB mite be a better choice (on my current budget).

On the plants subject, I have looked at some of the posts relating to ferts and stuff, would i be able to add these as chems only because i dont want to use a gravel as my base..

Thx for the help,

Pharalia

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
If you don't want to use gravel as the base, then I assume you are thinking about sand... Have you looked into the pros and cons of using sand? A very fine gravel might actually be better than sand, and may still give you the smooth visual effect you are looking for. I have natural gravel and sand mixed that i found in a local stream and it looks very nice.