Tank help

Jul 17, 2006
Sunrise, FL
I have a 10 gallon saltwater tank. I have two damsels, acouple of star fish, crabs and turbo snails. and one shrimp. I got a new pump/filter for it about 2 weeks ago. the tank is sooo cloudy, i tried this stuff from the pet store and that did not work. Does anyone have any sugestion?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well, a good starting point would be a bit more information:

1) what kind of pump/filter are you using?

2) do you have any live rock?

3) what does the cloudyness look like? algae bloom? milky? sandy?

4) what is this "stuff" you tried?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Seeing as you put a new filter on and do not have any live rock I would bet the house you are seeing a bacteria bloom. Monitor your ammonia and nitrite leave as you may see some traces of them. Nothing you can do other than wait will help it to clear up. In time it will go away on it's own.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I find that a little hard to belive, but assuming you are not trolling, when fish urinate where do you think that goes? Fish wastes do not generally disappear into thin air.
Normally I would say change 10% or a gallon or two a week, but I tihnk you might want to do a bit mroe than that. Do you buy or make your own salt water. I would be tempted to take 5 gallons fmor the tank, and then put 5 gallons of new water in , one gallon every hour.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
WOW... There is your problem!

I would do 2 consectutive 50% water changes;

Step #1: Do as Wayne stated drain half your tank then add in the new SW in incraments(make sure the SW is the same temp/salinity/Ph), then once your tank is filled 100% let it sit for a few hours

Step #2: Repeat step one

This will actuall give you a total of 75% water changed
Step #1 removes 50% old water and adds 50% new = 50% old & 50% new water in the tank
Step #2 removes 50%(25% old + 25% new) and adds 50% new= 25% old & 75% new water in tank

*** As well run some carbon in your filtration