tank ideas for this summer

Mar 6, 2006
so i am looking to set up a 30 this summer this will be my first major tank. Any advise is welcome!

Stock-
6-10 Harlequin Rasboras
or
6-10 Neon/black neon tetras

2-3 Gourami-pearl? blue? dwarf? thick lipped?
or
Paradise Fish (currently cramped in a 2gal and desperately needs moving)

2-3 ottos or some other bottom feeders suggestion?

I am looking at 3 stage filters how many gph is needed?

low light begginer plants?

Any advice would be great, especially about adding the Paradise fish or not and who he might get along with.:)

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
if you plan on moving the paradise gourami then i do not sugest putting in any other gouramis, other than that, you could do 5 rasborras and 5 tetras if you want both but not 10 of each, are you looking to create a semi agresive tank? you could try a couple of barbs to add movement instead of the tertas or rasboras.... other than that i cant think of any other suggestions.

and the paradise fish will do great in a tank with other fish just not other gouramis or especially other paradise fish.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Yes, no paradise fish with other paradisers or gouramis. Same goes for bettas or any other anabantoids. Though we have a female betta in both of our tanks which house gouramis and all has been well.

Razzies and neons are, in my experience, easy to keep and quite friendly to other fish.

I've had good luck with otos so far. Some of them do succumb to stress from being moved though, so be prepared for the possibility of losing a few. Plus they do better in very well-established tanks. The only places where I've lost any so far are in tanks that are a bit newer.

You could keep some corys. Those guys are hardy and peaceful. Upside down cats are a lot of fun to watch. Yo-Yo Loaches and Kuhli loaches often do well in planted tanks. You could also consider bamboo shrimp, cherry shrimp or Amano shrimp. Just be careful to make sure you don't have any fish that will make them into dinner.

As far as filtration goes, pretty much any filter that is handling a decent sized aquarium is going to be three stage just by default. That is to say, you will have mechanical media and likely chemical media, and the biological filtration will grow on all filter surfaces anyway. Though what is meant by a "three stage" filter is that there is an additional area meant solely for growing bacteria. (Bio-Wheels, Bio-Balls, ceramic rings, lava stone, etc.)

Filters seem to be a matter of personal preference, so instead of giving advice to make myself feel important I'll just tell you that pretty much any decent quality filter that is flow rated to a little more than what you need will do as good a job as any other filter. Filters are rated in gallons per hour, and with that is determined the size aquarium it can effectively filter. For example, most filters that are rated at 150 gallons per hour are said to be suitable for tanks up to 30 gallons. But it's always wise to supercede that number as much as is realistically possible. I would therefore choose a filter that is rated maybe 200 or more gallons per hour. Which one you choose will depend more on your specific needs and tastes. But don't go too crazy, or you'll find your fish being tossed around in the currents of a filter too powerful for your size tank.

Marineland's Penguins/Emperors and Hagen's Aquaclears are popular, well made hang on back filters that will give you efficient three stage filtration. Both make quality 150 and 200 gph units. I hear mixed reviews about the Tetra Whispers.

If you're considering a canister filter, which is viable an option once you're going for a tank that's 20+ gallons, then you have the Rena Filstars and The Hagen Fluvals as your good bet in the consumer level units. Of course there will be people on here that will insist you buy an Eheim. Now while Eheims are indeed a better quality product altogether, they come at a pretty steep price tag which I find questionable versus their actual performance. I think the argument for Eheim vs. Filstar or Fluval is more in build quality when they're being used on a general aquarium. Then again Eheims come with a one year warranty whereas Filstars come with a two year warranty. Something to consider.

Low light beginner plants - I did well with java ferns, java moss and cryptocorynes. You might also try anacharis, hornwort and anubias.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I would highly recommend NOT adding the paradise fish to a tank with little tetras/rasboras... I had a paradise fish that ate an eye out of one black neon tetra and a chunk of gill covering off of another, within about 2-3 hours of being put in the tank... he then made a trip back to the store. Another paradise fish bullied most platies (for some reason he liked the blue one) to death. He did well with kuhli loaches (bottom dwellers) and danios (too fast). They're also insanely jumpy and will jump out, even around a full hood...they find those little holes around filters. Since you've already got him, you can try him with little fish and see, but be aware there might be problems.

I second the suggestion for cories.... otos are good for algae eating, but they don't scavange around the bottom like cories or loaches. Plus cories are just plain more interesting and active.

Mar 6, 2006
yeah i've heard both stories about the paradise, i guess it just depends. the only ropblem is that there is a 7 hour drive between my paradise and where they 30 will be so i would hate to bring him all that way just to have to take him out. Maybe i'd better stick with the pearls.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
We just put a paradise fish into our little ten gallon community tank. He or she has been nothing but docile and looks like it will stay that way. The other inhabitants are four white clouds, a female betta, two corys, a cherry barb and three SAE's or flying foxes, we can't really tell just yet.

All is well so far. But that doesn't mean it would be the case with any other paradise fish.