tank info please

Apr 9, 2006
College Station, Tx
im fairly new to this myself so i could be wrong. but you don't "need" to add fish at anypoint. Adding more fish during cycling could cause problems cause you will have that much more ammonia added to a non-cycled tank. The best time to add fish would probably be at the end of the cycle.

Mar 6, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I thought that you already had a 20 gallon tank up and running and a 250 gallon on the way with a custom light LOL, with 3 clown loaches in the tank. Also i thought your sister has a tank as well (yes i know she is new).

well i used the clown loaches for fish during the cycle,i know that was stupid but i didnt realise it at the time.my sister is stingy with her tank. i never orderd the light becuase im a little confused about it so im researhing it.and my 250g is still cycling so i was wondering when its done do i have to right away get more fish or can i wait about a month

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
If you are fishless-cycling with ammonia, then you have to keep feeding the bacteria with the ammonia until you are ready to add the fish. Right before you add them, do a big water change, like 90 percent, then add your fish and they will provide the natural source of ammonia.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Bala, see my post above. If you don't feed the bacteria, they will starve to death. If this is an empty tank, then when you're done cycling you will have to continue to feed the bacteria to keep them alive.