tank mates.

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
ok reagan has made a huge bubble nest in the 2.5 the shrimp are in the 6 gallon and the apisto has no tank mates. i need suggestins for tank mates. i realy would like to keep a clown pleco but dont know if he would suffer. i thought of cardinals or neons. and aqua touch sells ottos now. the autos are beeing kept in a tank with the dreaded prawns. i watch them get chased down. could i keep a clown pleco?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
No pleco in anything as small as a 6... I think the minimum is a 20 gallon. Otos or shrimp work for algae control in little tanks like that. I don't know much about the dwarf cichlids, sorry.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
i think its a 10g though right? anyway i'm not sure if you could keep a clown pleco in a 10g, i guess you could try it if you wanted. as for other tank mates, id put some cardinal tetras in there, maybe 6, and possible some panda cories, say 4.

Sep 8, 2005
Clown Plecos get about 5 inches when full grown. I would not keep them in anything smaller than a 15 gal. They are wood eaters and produce a lot of waste [you need drift wood in the tank].They can also be somewhat territorial of their cave at feeding time. Other than that they are a peaceful fish.

radamsk1

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Long Island, NY
Since I mainly only do SA FW tanks, tankmates for a 10 gal. would most likely be tetras. Otos could also be nice if you want some bottom feeders/suckers, but you need a supply of sustainable algae for them. So your main choices are tetras, some other dwarf cichlids like a Ram or Apistos , corydoras, and otos. Plecos are pretty much out of the picture for such a small tank. But if it makes you feel better, Otos are related to them!