Tank Problem, NEED HELP!

Apr 2, 2005
Hey, today I decided to change my substrate from rocks to sand because i'am going from a community tank to a cichlid tank. Well i poured the sand in and i can't see a damn thing, Like not even too inches. Is this normal, and how long will it take to clear up?

Please,Please,Please, help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks so much!

Apr 2, 2005
My fish are in temperary housing, a 4 gal bucket!

I did turn my filter off, but is there anything i can get that will clear up the water a little quicker than overnight, mind you i did this without my parents knowing! *BOUNCINGS

Thanks so much

Last edited:

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
All you can do is not disburb it I'm afraid. I've caused a few sandstorms and just had to wait it out for everything to settle down. Overnight isn't so long to wait really. :)

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
When i waited for my plant substrate to settle i did not turn the filter off. I thought it is filtering all finest particles off and everything clears up faster. After that i changed the filter floss and rinsed the sponges.
I still believe that it is faster and you get more stable substrate then.

Whatever root you choose it will clear eventualy *SUNSMILE*

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If you put playsand in...you're going to need to do some serious water changes before it clears up. I would empty the tank and then pour like 4 inches of water in....swish the sand around wait a minute and take that water out....then do it again...until the sand falls to the bottom in a few seconds. You dont want to get that sand in your impellers or it'll burn them out like SANND said.

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
I've never heard of tube sand before. Does it say on the package what it's used for? Regardless, since it's not aquatic sand then I would follow Froggy's advice and do some water changes. :)

Apr 2, 2005
ok i did it, but it is still foggy, but not like it was before, now it is more of like a cloud color as opposed to a dark brown, color. Plus when i was pouring the water in, i poured the water into a bowl, which really seemed to help not disturb the sand so much.

Know i'am courious though, should i turn all the stuff back on, like my airstones and my filter?

Thanks for all the help!