tank question

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
Ok i'm thinking about maybe geting a sump?? i want something so my water goes threw to a sump below and pumps back up below my main tank and maybe beside a QT how could i do this?
also what do i need pump,tubes,tank anything else? also whats dif with those overflow things??

Last edited:

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
You can either buy a pre-built sump or you can make a DIY sump.

They are pretty easy to make if you have an old tank laying around or maybe find one on craigslist. You will also need a way to pull the water from the tank to the sump. You can build a built-in overflow if you have an acrylic tank (preferably), or you can buy or DIY a overflow that hangs off of the back.

Basically what it does is starts a siphon and it pulls the water from your tank to sump below with gravity. The tank below has a series of filtration methods (your choice) and then there is a return pump that pumps water back into your tank. You can hide all of your equipment below the tank and it keeps the water level the same at all times. Also really easy for WC's.

I haven't personally built one yet, but I have been researching the crap out of them. I just picked up a 55G and I'm building a sump for it either this weekend or next weekend. I will make a work log of it while I do it and post it up here. I think it’s the way to go if you have a larger tank for many reasons.

#1. Keeps water level the same.
#2. Increases water volume.
#3. Easier WC’s.
#4. Hides all of your equipment.
#5. Localizes all of your gear in one place.
#6. Keeps the surface of the water clear of debris and other crapola that floats around for maximum lighting conditions.

- Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store
^^ those guys have tons of stuff for sumps, pretty $$$ though^^

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
thx for the info:) pick this weekend if you get to it :D i might be going to a not lfs to buy a lot of stuff there having a big sell for the local football team winning or something like that but there equip is 10-15% off and they are cheap with out the sell but i plan on buying some stuff this Sunday but i also like that site ever bought anything but one of my fav sites to look at and wish i had a millon dollars to buy all there stuff...

PS do you think i should still use a power head for more flow since it's going to be a reef tank?

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
I am by no means a saltwater expert, but from what I read it depends on what type of saltwater tank you have. You do want current in the tank so you don't have any dead spots and you keep the waste suspended so it can get to the filter. It also depends on the corals and fish you are keeping, some like a strong current and some don't.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Most people on here so the more the better. Currently I have 1830 GPH in my tank. I have two seio 620 blowing from each side of the tank. Then I have two maxi- jet in the middle that blow in opposite directions pointing towards the top of the water so the water isn't still. If you get a coral that is known to like less find a place in your tank that doesnt' get direct flow and put it there. Once you get more rocks the direct flow will be less in some areas.