tank questions

Leonae

New Fish
Feb 3, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
hey there...
first off, hi! im brand new to the forum! Ive had a small 10 gallon sw tank for almost 4 years now...but i still know nothing about it! ive had the same clown fish in it the entire time, ive had a few others in it as well, but weve lost them over the years. ive been a bad fish keeper. Ive probably changed out the water twice in the whole 4 yrs!! but Nemo lives on! anyhow, ive been looking at upgrading and getting something that requires more attention. ive looked at a few different tanks that are in my budget.

Current Usa Aquapod Tank and
24 Gallon AquaPod HQI with SunPod

any thoughts on what the differences are between them? which is better for what i want?

i definitely think the second one is better. Ive never had a reef, but thats the main reason for the upgrade. I just dont have enough knowledge on the subject to make an informed decision. I do know the basics of fishkeeping, Ive just been too lazy to actually keep up on it.

Also, Im not sure as to what kind of fish/corals/whatever else do and dont belong together. Is there a basic guideline to follow like a template or a generalized list of what to put in and what not to put in the tank?

I know that my small tank i have now has poor lighting so nothing I put in stayed alive except for fish. I had a hermit that lived about 3 years but he ate the live rock alot...at least i think he did, peices were always broken off. I had a shrimp of some kind in there, he died after a day...my fish ate his parts off. I just hate spending money and losing these guys.

I have patience, I know that these tanks take a lot of time to set up. Ive read sooo many posts on this forum and Ive seen a few peoples posts from the start of unpacking their tank, all the way through several months later.

I know that i need some good live rock first, then the sand...whats best after that? and how long after? ive also noticed that many people opt out on the material type filters and use liverock rubble instead. how and when should i do this? i understand why regarding nitrates and what not. I do not plan on having a sump. Id like to learn the best technique to avoid the additional hassles.

Thanks in advance for any input!

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
have you read all the relevant stickies at the top of the forum's page?

if you're too lazy to change the water for a single fish why invest more money and run the risk of losing more fish/money due to poor maintenance?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Ouch.....but sort of seconds my thoughts. You really need to research the topic fully and decide if you are willing to make the needed committment otherwise you will end up with an aquapod with a clownfish.......and having spent money only to end up where you started.

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
I try and be patient with everyone since in all honesty, you have been very patient with me when I had questions from the begining through now. BUT the great sources here have provided excellent stickies that answer a lot of the basic questions.

Also, if someone states that they are lazy and not really carrying for their sole fish, why invest more money? Its like not taking care of a dog, so you get 3 more in hopes that it will make you more responsible. Maybe I am too attached to my fish.....

(Lorna, thank you for being more tactful....)

Leonae

New Fish
Feb 3, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
haha, i totally understand your concerns, and this is why Ive come to a forum and gotten some books on the topic. Ive had saltwater fish since i was a kid, growing up in florida put everything at our fingertips. i know the dedication this is going to take, and the money im going to have to invest (which definitely puts the motivation factor into play even more, as i hate to waste money). i know there is alot of information on the forums, ive read alot so far, and when ive got more time, ill keep going thru the posts. my biggest question to yall was which of the two tanks should i buy and why. they seem to be pretty similar, other than the hood/light. any insight?

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
any reason that you're going for an all inclosed complete tank instead of a larger/same size tank and selecting each item?

regarding size. larger can sometimes be easier (below 60g) since the water can be more tolerant of changes. imagine dumping a teaspoon full of salt into a bucket versus into a coffee cup.

Leonae

New Fish
Feb 3, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
I know the first tank i listed is enclosed, but the second tank isnt. It just seemed like a good deal buying the entire kit and ive seen a few posts here on the forum where people have bought this same tank and its done really well with the lighting thats included. Other than that, there is no other reason. Im not opposed to buying the lighting/filters/etc separately, i just dont really know where to begin.

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
ok well you first need to decide what size tank you want. do you want a sump? if not, then you need a HOB SKimmer (i would recommend Aqua C Remora (under 75g) or Remora Pro (under 120g)). if you want a sump, then you need an in-sump skimmer and the experts can help you with that too. Depending on what you want to keep inside, you may need certain types of lights.

you can ask us about recommendations before you buy. that's what we do!

Leonae

New Fish
Feb 3, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks for your help!
I want the 24 gallon Aquapod/Sunpod. This is the info on it.

The AquaPod HQI offers all-in-one elegance with a new standard of performance. The modern style compliments and decor and features seamless front rounded glass corners for optimum viewing. The contrast of the black back will highlight the vibrant colors of fish, invertebrates and plants. Hidden inside the sleek fixture you'll find a sophisticated lighting system that screams with performance and efficiency - it features a PowerPaq 14,000K metal halide HQI lamp, an internal electronic driving system and both Nocturnal Blue Lunar Lights and Moon White Lunar Lights to complete the 24-hour lighting cycle. Combine all of this with our ultra-efficient surface skimming filter and it is quite simply a system we are proud to call AquaPod.

Unleash The Power

The SunPod produces an enormous amount of light and cuts through water to even the deepest depths. The PowerPaq 14,000K HQI metal halide(s) produce the energy your corals will need while the Moon White and/or Nocturnal Blue Lunar Lights let them relax and chill at night. Housed in a sleek aluminum enclosure and powered by our internal proprietary electronic driving system makes for a really cool fixture. Plug-and-Play mounting features make this the perfect fixture for your nano-tank.

Panel-It

The SunPod is the world's first and only fixture to feature both Blue and White Lunar Lights mounted on a removable LED panel. Each color is independently controlled - allowing you to use both colors for a gradual ramp up, or one color for nocturnal viewing. Our Moon White is the only natural white light replicating the glow of a full moon. The crisp white light casts a "moon-glow" over your tank creating a beautiful nocturnal environment. The Nocturnal Blue light casts a mysterious nighttime glow over your tank creating a viewable nocturnal environment while providing all of the benefits of a lunar light.

Night Vision

Nocturnal Blue Lunar Lights cast a mysterious nighttime glow in the tank creating a dark moonlight effect creating the perfect environment for viewing nocturnal habits and stimulating spawning of your captive inhabitants.

The Underwater Perspective

The seamless rounded front corners provide a panoramic view of your aquatic creatures. The thick high quality glass is bent and seamed with unparalleled precision while the reinforced tank frame provides optimum tank support. All this to provide the perfect viewing portal to your underwater garden.

It Just Skims

The AquaPods efficient internal filter system provides true over-flow skimming unlike traditional integrated filters which only clean water under the surface. No more oil slicks or foam build-up on the waters surface! The filter skimmer is completely adjustable - allowing water to be pulled from almost any water level desired. A mechanical sponge filter keeps out debris and dirt from the main tank while large capacity filter chambers have enough room to keep carbon, phosphate removers, heaters and other filtration gadgets (weve got some cool ones coming soon).

What's Included

Each AquaPod includes tank, Sunpod lighting system, glass top, integrated filtration system, submersible pump, mechanical sponge filter, biomedia and instructions.

Now ive heard other say that you dont need the sponge filters or biomedia because it just increases the nitrate levels or whatnot. What are your opinions on this and am i going to need an additional protein skimmer for this size tank or will this suffice for a 24g tank?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well you really don't need an additional skimmer but it would help especially if you are negligent in doing water changes which would be necessary if no skimmer. The Aquapod did have some issues with cracking in their earlier models but I believe they have rectified this. The filter media can be removed and replaced with live rock rubble which will help over the long run. The sunpod lighting will allow you greater choice of corals if and when you get your tank stable enough for that. Our questions really weren't relevant to whether you do your research but are you committed to doing what is necessary......all the knowledge in the world is useless unless you put it into practice.