Tank silicon drying time?

IrishBull

Small Fish
Oct 2, 2006
I have a 2" hole in the side of my tank that was previously used as an overflow. There is a gasket where it screws in on the water side of the tank, and I was just filling it up and it's leaking over. Should I get another gasket and have a gasket on either side?

What I have affixed to it is a spigot connected to pvc which fits into this pipe/screw thing. It has a male adapter on one side (it is hollow to allow water to go through it to drain when you open the spigot), it fits into the hole int he glass and you screw it in on the other side.

Should I remove the gasket and put silicon around it instead? I saw some aquarium silicon at walmart and I was wondering if that's ok to use and what the drying time would be.

Or could I use another gasket? Or should I just silicon the hole up? It's a 2" hole, I'm not sure how I would go about sealing a hole that big. Thanks for any help/suggestions! Sorry this was so long.. I think it would've been better if I just took a picture.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Is it a new gasket on there? If not, it's probably a good idea to get a new one.

You can put silicone around the gasket to help make it "more" safe. A thin coat of silicone will take a day or two to dry, a thicker one will take three to four.

If you want to seal it, you should be able to get a plug for it in the plumbing section of the hardware store (the same threaded kind, but with a plug in it). The other option is to silicone a piece of glass or acrylic on either side of the hole (but it's not an attractive solution).

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
I guess the first thing is do you want the spigot on the tank ? If not then like Lotus said go to your local hardware store and find some kind of plug. If the ppl at your local hardware are crafty they should be able to hook you up with what you need. As far a silicone goes, I know from experence that automotive silicone takes 24hrs for full cure and I would believe that it shouldn't take any more than 48hrs for marine silicone to fully cure. If I wrong someone please correct me. Like 3800rs said make sure the silicone doesn't get wet before it dries but most important is to make sure the surface you apply the silicone to is extreamly dry, dry, dry. It makes all the difference IMO and from my experence with automotive gaskets.

IrishBull

Small Fish
Oct 2, 2006
Ok, I got a new gasket and some silicon. I applied the silicon to either side of the glass and I wiped the surface dry before I did it. I'm going to wait the 48 hours(the length of time the package said it takes to cure) and try filling it up and seeing how that goes. If it leaks again I'm going to go with Lotus and just get a plug. Thanks so much!