Tank Stand Question

keithk831

Medium Fish
Jun 15, 2008
Provo, UT
I have a 26-gallon bowfront tank I just set up, and it's sitting on a wrought iron stand made for a 10 or 20 gallon tank. The box says the weight limit for it is 190lb (I think). My tank probably weighs way more than that, but it's been fine for a week now. Think it'll be ok forever on that stand?

keithk831

Medium Fish
Jun 15, 2008
Provo, UT
Well the outside of the box says up to 190; but of course, it's currently holding much more than that. I'm probably around 100lbs over that with a full tank, gravel, filter, heater, etc.

It's not bowing down or anything...it looks stable and such. Only thing is we're in a second level apartment, so when you walk by the tank kind of shakes a little bit (due to the fact it's iron and kinda skinny).

Masz

New Fish
Jul 26, 2008
Tank Stand

My thoughts are that 1 gallon of water weights 8lbs. Therefore your 26 gallon tank, in water alone, weights 208 lbs.

If the mfg recommendation is only 190lbs, I would personally purchase another base specifically for the tank. The current set up could be fine for awhile, but wow what a mess if over time the stand does not hold up.

Masz

Jun 21, 2008
My other question would be, if it's made for a standard 10 to 20 gallon tank, and yours is a 26 gallon bowfront, is it hanging off the edges any? If so, that would be one more reason to get a stand that's made for your tank.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
My other question would be, if it's made for a standard 10 to 20 gallon tank, and yours is a 26 gallon bowfront, is it hanging off the edges any? If so, that would be one more reason to get a stand that's made for your tank.
Good call. Hanging is bad, overtime it can bow and will most likely break a glass tank, or at least tear some seams so the tank starts leaking.

keithk831

Medium Fish
Jun 15, 2008
Provo, UT
Well it is hanging off a little. There is a metal frame around the bottom edges. The back edge is resting on the frame, and the front is resting on it in 2 places (since it's a bowfront).

Jun 21, 2008
Yeah, I recently bought a 55 gallon with a homemade stand that was only supporting the tank at the ends and middle, and only with a strip of 1"x4" around the bottom edge. I put plywood under it, and shimmed in between the plywood and stand to level it. On the top, I added in the missing braces around the sides, then put a piece of plywood over that, then a piece of 1/2" insulating foam. I feel much better, although I'm a worrier, so I'm still a little nervous. But, a lot less than I would have been if I had just gone with it as it was. By the way, anyone see any issues with my solution? I haven't come across anyone putting plywood across the top of the stand to distribute weight, but it just seemed to make sense to me, and with the foam over it, I'm thinking it will be fine? Anyway, I think you'll be much happier with the stand that's made for it.