Tank stand that wobbles!!

HeathDus9

Small Fish
Oct 3, 2009
Ok i have a 20 gallon tank that i was putting on a desk, pretty sturdy but looked to be saggin. Well i went to petco and bought one of them metal stands and i can touch my tank and make it wobble back n fourth. is this just me being over worried, can anyone else make their tank wobble with the stand back n fourth? it doesnt give too much, but their is some movement!

Feb 27, 2009
Ok i have a 20 gallon tank that i was putting on a desk, pretty sturdy but looked to be saggin. Well i went to petco and bought one of them metal stands and i can touch my tank and make it wobble back n fourth. is this just me being over worried, can anyone else make their tank wobble with the stand back n fourth? it doesnt give too much, but their is some movement!
It is important that a stand not wobble when holding hundreds of pounds of water/rocks/fish.

BUT, the stand may be perfectly fine, and the floor may not be level.

If the floor isn't level, even a perfectly made stand will wobble.

Check the floor first. If it IS level, then exchange the stand for a better one.

HeathDus9

Small Fish
Oct 3, 2009
well i put my tank on a dresser, the water seems a little bit more level, but not perfect. At a 20 gallon tank with the dimensions of 24x13x17 how will this effect my tank overtime?

Feb 27, 2009
well i put my tank on a dresser, the water seems a little bit more level, but not perfect. At a 20 gallon tank with the dimensions of 24x13x17 how will this effect my tank overtime?
You have a 20gallon high tank. It weighs over 200pounds when full of water/gravel, etc.

If its not level, it COULD cause the tank to leak or crack from the stress of the weight not being evenly distributed. The tank's weight COULD break the dresser.

Not sure what you mean by "how will this effect my tank overtime?"

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
if the dresser is made of oak, not fake presswood , you may be alright but i dont think i would take a chance. as was stated above there is A LOT of weight.
8.34 lbs per gallon plus gravel etc.
actually i dont have my new tank yet because i dont have proper stand. i think its easy to forget about the weight when getting into fish tanks. better safe than sorry, it would be a big mess if it breaks , and someone could get hurt.
ps i hope its not a tall dresser, it would be very top heavy

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I never suggest anyone put a tank bigger than a 10 on a piece of furniture that isn't specifically built to hold weight. When I am setting up a tank I have found that most floors are not exactly level so what I'll do is get them where I want them and find the most level spot. Then I have different types of things to put under the tanks depending on which one it is to even them out. I put about an inch of water in the tank (so I can still move it, but I can see when it is level) and then adjust as necessary. Cardboard works wonders, and I have a couple of wood pieces I use for my 55 that is a different type of stand...and for some reason it wants to come forward when its on carpet...so I shove some under the front edge. I'll add some more water and then when its about half full I mess with it a little to make sure nothing is going to unexpectedly slide out, test how much I'd have to pull to pull it over...that kind of thing. I've actually had to move where I put the tank before...just because of the darn floor. ugh.