TANK STOCK

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
I wanted to get some feedback on our aquarium and the fish we have to be sure we are properly stocking it and have the right mix of fish.

We have a 60X36X30cm aquarium (I can't rememeber the number of liters / gallons).

Here's what we have:

5 Corydoras Catfish
12 Cardinal Tetras
8 Glowlight Tetras
5 Rummy Nose Tetras
1 Black Tuxedo Female Guppy
8 African Lampeyes (just added from our very small tank (20X20X20cm))

We have a second tank that is only 30X30X25cm with 2 Mickey Mouse Platties. The platties are tank starters and it is near the end of the first 8 weeks. The other tank (20X20X20cm) housed the Lampeyes until yesterday (nearly 8 weeks). Could we consider these two smaller tanks cycled? Also, since our smallest tank no longer has any fish, by keeping the filter running, could we consider it already cycled if we want to house a couple of new fish?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Your largest tank is 16 gallons or so, I believe I converted them all for you in another thread. Even tho you only have very small tetras etc, you sound quite overstocked.

Your other tanks are a 6 gallon (2 platies) and a 2 gallon (formerly the lampeyes) You cannot consider the tanks cycled until they _test_ with 0 ammonia or nitrites and some amount of nitrates. If you've taken your fish out of a tank and not left any way for the beneficial bacteria to feed, they will die off and the tank will need to be re-cycled.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
wow...if that tank is only 16 gallons....even if it was 20+ I think you'd still be sorely overstocked. You may want to do some more research on stocking...