Tank suggestions/online buying question

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
I cant ever find any fish in the stores here that just say "TAKE ME HOME WITH YOU RIGHT NOW" The selection is always limited to the faithful goldfish, gouramis and cichlids. I have 2 oscars (Pinky Lee and Kenicky) in a 50gal and they live happily.
I have given my 4 gouramis to my neighbor for her tank, I'm not sure of the size, but its enormous and needed some habitants.
So now I just have a catfish, and my pleco. I'm looking for suggestions as of who to put in there. Id like to get someone lively and entertaining. The tank is pretty much for my 2y.o. son who loves to watch the fish swim.
Another thing, my boyfriend has informed me that Eddie (the catfish) is not a cory. So I have no idea what he is. The Petco just had him listed as "Grey Catfish"
Another thing, what is your guys' thoughts on buying fish online? Is it trustworthy and safe for the fish? I've seen a few sites but thought I'd get some more knowledgeable peoples input before making any decisions.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
What size tank is it? Edit: I see now in your sig... 35g. I think you'd want to stick to medium size fish, as lots of catfish tend to eat small fish as they grow and I don't know exactly what yours is (maybe a columbian shark or an iridescent shark?).

I've never bought fish from online, but I don't see any problem with it. Just make sure that they have a guarantee. Liveaquaria.com is one of the better places.

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
We were given a plump little black catfish named Gus from our neighbors who are moving. Over the last few days I've noticed that Gus's stomach area has been starting to swell. Now he.. well she perhaps lived in his original home with about 8 others. Is it possible he/she is pregnant? And if so, how will I know for certain before she starts popping out babies. And also, if Gus (who might be in need of a new name) is pregnant and has babies, will they be safe in the tank with the other catfish?

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
I just received some fish that I ordered online. They were all alive and healthy when they arrived. The shipping cost was $25. The place that I ordered from has a flat shipping fee for all orders, which means it doesn't matter if you buy 3 fish or 100. The charge is always the same. I'm not going to give the name of the place, because I was dissatisfied with their customer service. It said on their website that they would send me an email letting me know when the fish shipped. Well, they never sent an email and my fish arrived yesterday without me expecting them. I almost went out for the day!! The poor fish would've been waiting on my door step all day.:mad:

Sep 16, 2005
catfish are not livebearers, so your fish is not pregnant. she may be "gravid"... fat with eggs, but she would need a boyfriend to externally fertilize them i do believe.

and i'd advise you against getting your hopes up for any fishie babies unless you get a separate tank and actively attempt to breed. we have danios and rasboras that are always getting gravid, then spawning, and have yet to see the faintest hint of surviving fry.

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
geekrockgirl85 said:
catfish are not livebearers, so your fish is not pregnant. she may be "gravid"... fat with eggs, but she would need a boyfriend to externally fertilize them i do believe.

and i'd advise you against getting your hopes up for any fishie babies unless you get a separate tank and actively attempt to breed. we have danios and rasboras that are always getting gravid, then spawning, and have yet to see the faintest hint of surviving fry.
I never intended to breed my Danio's, but I always see fry in my tank. About a month ago I decided to capture some. I put them in a breeding cage and they're getting bigger by the day.

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
Oh, no I wasn't hoping for babies, I just was wondering about his swollen belly. Its possible he's just fat. Thanks for the info though, I was really starting to wonder.

And also thanks for the input on buying online. Might be a future option.

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
What are some good sites to buy fish? Are they reliable and how is the shipping process?

Are they that much better or should I just spend my money at the fish shops close by?

Oh yea, I don't like Walmart for reasons other than having floating and not swimming fish. haha.

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
I would stick to buying fish at your local store, unless it's a fish that your stores don't normally carry. That's the only reason why I did it. I wanted some female Gouramis and the only place I could find them was online.
It's very costly to have fish shipped and I'm sure it's stressful for the fish.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
how about some colorful tetras, i got some red phantom tetras and the add so much activity and color to my tank also rainbowfish look good as long as you get ones that are bright and healthy as babies, there are a ton of different rainbows to chose from as well. you could always go for some of the odder fish as well, like violet goby(dragonfish) they are pretty docile but they are so cool to watch.

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
Eddie (unknown grey cat) looks very similary to the catfish picture you linked to. Only he is more silvery and has prominent black spots on his tail and fins. If I can get a good enough picture of him I will post it and that would probably make identifying him alot easier. Thanks for the help everyone!

I'm brand new to fish keeping, so I just want to let you all know that I do appreciate any advice and all the help you give.