Tank Upgrade...cycle question

Menk45

New Fish
Aug 22, 2008
First, I'll admit that although I have had a tank for about 2 years, I am pretty much a newbie.

I recently upgraded from a 30 gallon tank to a 55 gallon tank. I had a lot of success with the 30 gal and think I will really enjoy the 55 gal.

However....

I upgraded on 8/9, saving as much of the water as I could from the original tank.

I assumed that the tank would probably have to go through a cycle and my tank is clowdy...but it's green.

I lost a few fish during the upgrade and am down to a couple of Serpae tetras, a couple mollies, a pleco, and a catfish.

Should I just be patient and wait a couple more weeks, or is there something I should do now?

Thanks.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
I have changed tanks the same way before. That did not happen. But it sounds like what happened to me when I was a tank cleaning fool. I think it is called a bio-boost or bio-boom. Did you keep the same filters?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
what did you keep from the old tank? Unfortunately the water doesnt hold much of the bacteria...the gravel, decor, and filter are where the bacteria you need are at. IMO if the water is green you have an algea issue, but I have not dealt with that so I really cant help you. I would recommend testing your water and posting the results back here.

bunker_1

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2008
Cincinnati
I took both of my filters out and cleaned them with hot water one time. My tank got very cloudy and I had some very tiny clear/white plant looking things on every flat surface in the tank, including the glass. I did water changes, but nothing helped until the filters go cycled. I am not sure if you are going through the same thing.

Menk45

New Fish
Aug 22, 2008
Seems like it may be an algae issue, but should I try to treat it while the system is cycling?

If so, any recommendations on product?

Thanks.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
No products! Take care of the problem first. Dosing chemicals is a band-aid to the issue. You can start by making sure the tank isn't getting any direct sunlight or indirect sunlight. Being in a room of the house that gets tons of sun can be just as bad. Secondly turn of the lights and cover the tank in a thick blanket for a couple of days. Check the tank, if it is still green recover for a couple more days.

Yeah you should have let the other filter run with the new one for at least a couple of weeks. You can speed things along by getting some Bio-Spira. You'll still show some nitrites but IME it takes care of ammonia almost overnight as long as you are not heavily stocked.