tankmate for betta

Mar 6, 2008
I've got a single male betta right now in a half gallon bowl. i really want to upgrade to about a five gallon, but i also want to have a tankmate or two for my betta. i was hoping i could get some suggestions for the tank.

if a five gallon would be too small, i'd probably go for a ten gallon, but again, i need suggestions. thanks in advance. :D

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I have a betta in a 5 gallon.

He'll be going into 15 gallon in a while... but once he goes in, I'll be getting a new Betta to go into the 5 gallon, along with some more salt and peppered pygmy cories (corydoras habrosus). They only grow to be about .75" long. So you can put about 4, maybe 5, and a betta.

Because the betta is territorial, you'll want to put him in last.

White Cloud Minnows also work great with bettas. Just make sure that whatever you get, it doesn't have long fins (like guppies) and something that doesn't nip fins (like tiger barbs, which don't belong a 5 gallon anyway)

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
If you're adding other fish, you'll need a filter. Even then, I'd recommend a filter for your betta. Make sure to cycle your tank first. Look for posts by miss fishy, she has information about cycling a new tank.

Edit: PetSmart has a 5 gallon hex tank made by Marineland (I believe), that only costs about $35 (at the store, not online, and with a PetSmart card, at least here in Houston). It comes with a built in bio-wheel filter and lighting... although, If you're willing to spend between $5-10 more, you can get a 10 gallon kit, which comes with just about everything you'll need.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2008
how many white cloud minnows or cories should i put in the five gallon with the betta?

also, whichever fish you suggest, what would it eat?

thanks again. :D

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2007
www.forrestcook.com
my 5.5 has a betta, an african dwarf frog and four ghost shrimp. I put an AC filter on it and some cheapo heater... regular hood/light w/ a 12 watt light. Works just fine. Also, on a hood that size, you don't use fluorescents but rather a screw in bulb that gives you that cool metal-halide-esque water ripple effect. Dwarf cories would be awesome in there.... I mighth ave a full bio load already though.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Since Dwarf Cories stay so small, less than an inch, I was planning on putting a whole shoal of 5 along with the betta in a 5 gallon, but that may be pushing it, so I may put 4..

White clouds will eat regular fish flakes, while you can feed cories sinking algae wafers and sinking shrimp pellets, along with zuccinni.