tap water filter came with.....

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
hahaha tell me you didn't spend 80 bucks on that thing??

When you filter your water like that you need to premix it with those chemicals in a large bucket/unused garbage can before putting it in your tank.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
No DO NOT do that. That filter is more than just a filter. It is a Deionizer. It stripes the water of any and all mineral content...well strips it down to 99.999% pure H2O. putting it in your tank then adding the buffer chemical and electrolytes will mess with your PH causing drastic sudden spikes. No cool for the fishies. Mis it outside of the tank. Yes it must be added! The PH adjuster needs to be put in because without it your PH should be around 5.0 after going through that filter. The electroright because the fish have got to have some trace minerals and electrolytes in the water.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
It's cheaper in the long run. My RO unit cost my 75 bucks has lasted now about 8 months and doesn't show any signs of the membrane wearing out or getting clogged. Depending on your mineral content of your tap water you may only get between 30-90 gals before that filters cartridge needs to be replaced. Says so right in the instructions too.