Tap water or purified?

Jul 31, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
I was reading a thread on another site yesterday, and someone was saying it is almost imperative to use purified water for tanks. I think it was in the saltwater section, but if so, would apply to both salt and fresh. But is it true? Does anyone here use tapwater, with proper treatments of course?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The problem with RO water for a freshwater tank is it doesn't have the minerals that fish need. When you use an RO unit, it removes the water's buffering capabilities and you need to add some minerals back into it or mix it with some tapwater. So, 100 percent RO water isn't a good idea for most fish unless you use an additive.

It's almost necessary for a saltwater aquarium because tapwater has phosphates and other minerals in it that cause algae blooms, but the salt mix you add puts those minerals back in.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I have a large R/O system with 6 stages, the first three are partial(1) and carbon(2) filters and this is where I tap off of to get water for my freshwater. This water is filtered down to a couple or few microns and the chemicals are removed but minerals are maintained so I do not need conditioner. The rest of the system is what I use for drinking and my salt tanks. This is truly the best set-up I have ever used for my tanks!!!!! I get the best of both worlds, its GREAT and I have awesome drinking water to.

Lionel

Small Fish
May 24, 2011
My softened RO water is for drinking. I never saw the point of treating water with such a high rejection rate just to buy minerals to put back in.

Feb 27, 2009
Lots of reasons to use RO water and either mixing it with tab or specific minerals to get specific water parameters. But for the average fishkeeper, I agree its not needed. If just keeping fish and not trying to breed softwater species, most fish will adjust to whatever your local well/tap water is.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
My softened RO water is for drinking. I never saw the point of treating water with such a high rejection rate just to buy minerals to put back in.
If you tap off before the r/o membrane(this is if you r/o set-up has pre-filters) you just get highly filtered water that is chlorine and chemical free (mostly anyway, depending on the pre-filters used). This way you get a great quality water and still maintain the minerals.