Tap Water PH

MrBungle

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
NY, on an island...
for water changes, mix the salt with the water and let it sit overnight with a heater and powerhead or airstone in the bucket. If you use the premixed stuff, you just need to make sure its at the right temp. Your pH will be ~8.2-8.3. As for top offs, again, just make its the right temp and you are fine.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
yup it can take some time if your plan it to buffer up all your tank and not only the top off water..you don't wanna add this too fast

Pretty much the same stuff i used, except taht you don't have to let it dissolve.

Last edited:

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
I agree with the method above for making up water for water changes, except if you are using some of the very high Ca concentration salt mixes you can make the argument that you should sit it for 4 hours or so, not overnight, because overnight it will absorb enough atmospheric CO2 to create extra CO3- ions and precipitate out some of the precious Ca. For the same reason, the abundance of atmospheric CO2 in modern houses also make it impossible to predict that, for sure, the pH of newly mixed saltwater will be 8.2, 8.3 - it might be driven down a bit.

I think there are good reasons for supplementing alk and Ca in your top up water, but balancing pH is not one of them, unles you're plannning some massive topup (10% + ?) - pH is driven by dissolved ions, and the ions are still there it's just the water that has gone - thus, put just the water back. If you are a doing a topup of a very few percent (I topup a gallon and a half a day, less than 1%) the change in pH in the bulk tank water will be insignificant, and not to be concerned with.