Tap water?

Fishfreak

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2004
NC
Visit site
Can I use tap water to fill up my 20 gallon tank? Distilled water can be expensive. If I have to fill it up with distilled water than when I add water can I just add tap? I have filtered water, not straight form faucet also.

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
KahluaZzZ said:
U can but welcome algaes. I switched to reverse osmosis/de-ionised water and now all algae and cyano are gone. Pretty good investment.
Yes, like the post said before, you can do it I had my 60 gallon going with tap for the longest time, ALGAE was everywhere, so said very nicely by KahluaZzZ. Your best bet is to go out and buy those 5 gallon jugs that you refill and go with the bottled water. It will only run you about 1.50$ to fill the thing up. I have also heard that using other water like tap (not chlorinated) and well could possibly lead to other problems to, cant say for sure but I have heard of it. Good luck with it though….. *PEACE!*

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
or you could buy an RO unit...in the long run its probably the best/cheapest solution

but, your tap might be ok...mine is...would need a water report to check PO4, nitrates, heavy metals, etc to know for sure

in terms of minerals and electrolites you don't need to worry about that, your salt mix should replace most if not all the goodies the distililng process would take out

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Reef crystals by instant ocean is supposed to neutralize a good % of heavy metals and chlorine. No liquid water softener needed.
Another good thing about reef crystals i like : more calcium than in standard instant ocean. Finally the couple bucks more are worth it.
Well...i'm out of salt..gotta buy some more.