Tell me about this gourami..

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
This is a follow-up thread since my other thread isn't being revisited by those who have previously visited.. Here is a picture of my new gourami that I recently got from a LPS for $15. Can you tell me what kind of gourami it is and what kind of care it needs in terms of pH and temperature. I feed him LARGE cichlid pellets. I do believe he's eaten one of my clown loaches and taken a nice chunk out of the back and dorsal fin of one of my irridescent sharks. Is there to be expected? Help!! He's in a 39-gallon tank, but I've just made a deal for a tank that is 6' long. At 6' long, I'm guessing it's a 100 gallon. Please give me all the info you can..

http://members.tripod.com/k_bradley/myaquariums/id3.html

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
i would believe its to be expected, gouramis are naturally agresssive fish, and one of that size is deffinitly capable of doing some major dammage. are you planning on keeping it alone in the 6' tank? it looks like a female gourami as well, but im not sure which species.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Its a giant Gourami and there's another thread: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35527
I think she will be fine in a tank that size. I would probably go about treating her like an Osar. By this I mean if you want anything else in the tank (1 or 2 fish max) I would put them in first and then add her. Like Fishckabibble said Gouramies are naturally aggressive so be careful. Id say you should get a Pleco but other than that I would probably let her have her own space. Good Luck!!! *thumbsups

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Do you think that an albino frog will be okay in there with her, since he inhabits the bottom? I also still have the jumbo danios in there with here, becaue they're very fast. One clown loach left....and two irridescent sharks. I don't get the 6 ft. tank until next wed, so we'll see how well I can keep her fed in order to save the other fishies.