Tell my Dad no please!!!

jaws2

Large Fish
Feb 19, 2003
massachusetts
Visit site
My dad wants a tang i told him no a million times but he insists.

Here is the prob my CYCLED tank is only 30 gallons. He says it is fine because he has done it. And he has.

He had a yellow tang for 8 months in the same 30 but he gave it back the LFS when we moved.

So please explain why he CAN'T have a tang I hate when a fish dies it drives me nuts.

Also tell him what fish ARE good their WHOLE LIFE in a 30 gallon not fish I have to bring back. Please don't even mention damsels

Thanx in advance

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Yeh, all tangs are too big for a 30g, they may work for a while but will live a short life. I would suggest a couple of clowns, and study up on your inverts, get some of them.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
That is a horrible tank to put a tang in. Tangs are big fish that like to browse on algae all day and other stuff, ditto dwarf angels.
A tang might well survice , but in your small sterile tang it's going to be hungry and bored all the time. Not very good really

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
What about jawfish? Absolutely hilarious little fish, their only real requirement is a deep sand bed around 4" or better....
What about any of the fairy wrasses or flasher wrasses? Gorgeous fish that can be kept in groups with a single male and several females.
Clownfish are wonderful fish, maybe a hawkfish, or how about bangaii cardinals? Dottybacks are beautiful fish but very aggressive....royal grammas are just as good looking but less mean.....six-line wrasses stay small....

jaws2

Large Fish
Feb 19, 2003
massachusetts
Visit site
you know toodles you have been a life saver for the past month thank you i was interesed in jawfish but my dad thought that they just stay under and you only see them once a day i dont know if this is true i never saw a colorful one so i was leaning against them

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Gramma, dottybacks, banggai cardinals. But you have those 3 damsels in there that might simply kill anything you put in there now. Also it's a bit empty for most of these fish to be comfortable

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
:D

The yellow headed jawfish in the store probably won't look like much but in your tank they should color up nicely. It's a good idea to get two of them as they end up stealing each others decor (shells, small rocks)....and they will spend most of their time in the water just above their hidey holes. What about watchman gobies and their symbiotic shrimp?? That can be fascinating too!!!!
You know for other suggestions, I didn't even think of some of these until later but chalk bass are nice and small and like to be in groups....or what about marine bettas? Nice fish whose only problem might be eating smaller tankmates....(okay, that can be a real problem, but they are very interesting);)

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Wayne brings up a good point, what are you going to do with the damsels? If you want to keep them, then you are going to have to pick fish that can stand up to the damsels. If you keep them you will also need to move things around a bit and add more decor at the same time. (To break up their established territories) I understand that maybe you don't have the cash to go out and buy a large amount of LR but what about a small amount? You can always add more later on.....or you can always use some plastic plants for the time being too. At least the fish could use it to hide behind or in.....
Fish that would go with damsels.....dottybacks, dwarf lionfish, some of the wrasses (although I'm not familiar with what species exactly), larger clownfish like the maroon, the larger hawkfish, "maybe" the marine betta.

Also, whatever you decide to do be careful and don't overstock your tank.....

jaws2

Large Fish
Feb 19, 2003
massachusetts
Visit site
i am getting rid of the damsels back to the LFS they go but i dont want a empty tank for long (more than 3 days) so i want a fish picked out whaen i visit the store. marine Betta??? pics and or links please