Temp Control

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I recently got my digital thermometer so I could actually get a reading on my tanks temperature. I have the tank heater set to 75 currently, and the thermomter is reading 78.5.

When I first added the thermometer it was reading around 81.. which was to high for my likeing so I turnbed the heater from 78 down to 75 (where its at now).

Anyway my room stays at a nice temperature that wouldnt raise my temp in the tank at all, and yet no matter what the heaters set at its like 2 degrees warmer. Im not to worried because I can probably just turn the heater down to 74 to get my temp to my desired level of like 77 or even 76 degrees. What I was really wondering is what this could be from, since my room isnt contributing to the issue. I have 3 powerheads in the tank that are pretty powerful (this is what Im thinking is causing the additional heat), and a 36 watt light. Do you guys think the powerheads are causing the additional heat, or is it a combo of the powerheads and the light (I wouldnt think it was the light since its only 36 watts and doenst even cover the entire tank)

I just want to make sure that the powerheads could be causing this and not my heater or anything malfunctining(sp?) and could lead to bigger problems later.

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
hope you don't have any rio powerheads. i hear they break easily and melt, spewing out oil and crap into the tank.

but it probably is just the lights and powerheads running.

how humid is it down there? it's freaking crazy up here... my tank gets down to 79 degrees on good days. haha

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
I dont think it would be your powerheads OCC. I dont think those things get that hot, lol.
I think your lights maybe putting out some heat(mine do a little) put your hand under it and find out. ya rio's suck but if one shot out oil, lol, that would realy suck. and there loud. but my heater is not right on either(in the winter) need no heater know, lol

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
i had a rio in my freshwater for about 2 days but then took it out because it was friggen ginoumouse, then traded all my powerheads for aquaclear hagens or something like that. It may be the lights because of how close they are to the tank itself.

What Ill probably do is just turn the heater down to like 74-73 and see how it goes from there along the lines of steady temp temps at my desired level/