temperatue questions

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
hey yall, ive got 2 tanks that ive had running or a while and i have not really thought about temperature till now.

what would be the suggested temperature for these 2 tanks?

29g: oscar, jack dempsey, small unknown cichlid, plecostomaus.

10g: electric blue "lobster"

thanks.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
hey yall, ive got 2 tanks that ive had running or a while and i have not really thought about temperature till now.

what would be the suggested temperature for these 2 tanks?

29g: oscar, jack dempsey, small unknown cichlid, plecostomaus.

10g: electric blue "lobster"

thanks.
For the 29G you want mid 70's, my oscar tank frequently sits around 78 - 80 depending on the day. Most thermometers for fish have a green band and for the most part as long as you fall within that you are ok.

Hopefully you are upgrading to a much larger tank for the occupants in the 29 because as I am sure you are well aware a single oscar really needs 55G to itself.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
well for the 29g tank i would say 74f to 78f and the 10g im not sure, i don't do lobsters, but i would say same as 29g. i will tell you if anyone else answers this post they will tell you what i'm going to tell you, and that is you 29g is waaaayyyyyy to small for the fish you have in there. the oscar and his buddies should have, at the least, a 55g tank. if your fish are still really small you will be able to get away with it for a little while but they will out grow that tank really fast. some will even say a 55 is too small for all of them. if you are serious about keeping your fish i would recomend a 90g. good luck

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
yeah someday i will be moving them into a larger tank, but for now they stay in there.

i ask these questions though because i finally went and got a thermomometer since my last one broke.

thats for the help, my 29g was at 72 so i upped the temperature on the heater...and now its shining very brightly red/orange...should i be concerned about this or is it normal for heaters to do this?

Last edited:

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
yeah someday i will be moving them into a larger tank, but for now they stay in there.

i ask these questions though because i finally went and got a thermomometer since my last one broke.

thats for the help, my 29g was at 72 so i upped the temperature on the heater...and now its shining very brightly red/orange...should i be concerned about this or is it normal for heaters to do this?
That should be the light telling you it is on.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
QUESTION: Is this the oscar from the other thread, that you've had for a year and a half and which is now sick? How big is it?????

How big are the jd and the pleco????????
hes approximately 6-7 inches, the jd is 5 inches and the other cichlid is 4. the plecostomaus is 10 inches and has been this size for about 10 years, so i dont think he will be getting any bigger any time soon.

yes i realize that i need a bigger tank, right now i cant afford it, but soon i will be upgrading.

and the oscar started as a baby in my 10g, then moved to the 29g half a year later. the jd and other oscar have only been in the tank for....well the jd about a year and the other one for about half a year.

i fodun the suggested temp for crawdads.

hari-goshi

Medium Fish
Jan 17, 2009
hes approximately 6-7 inches, the jd is 5 inches and the other cichlid is 4. the plecostomaus is 10 inches and has been this size for about 10 years, so i dont think he will be getting any bigger any time soon.

yes i realize that i need a bigger tank, right now i cant afford it, but soon i will be upgrading.

and the oscar started as a baby in my 10g, then moved to the 29g half a year later. the jd and other oscar have only been in the tank for....well the jd about a year and the other one for about half a year.

i fodun the suggested temp for crawdads.
Why dont you take some of the fish that cant fit in your current setup and trade them toward a new tank?

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
Why dont you take some of the fish that cant fit in your current setup and trade them toward a new tank?
because the only fish im willing to give up is the plecostamous...and really not even him...what would be the point of giving up the fish and then moving to a bigger tank? i dont really think i would get much for my fish anyways...although i guess i could contact the couple of fish only stores and see....

idk ive raised all of these from littler fish to bigger fish, and i would like to keep raising them in such a way. ive been watching craigs list for a tank in my price range, and hopefully will find one/or save up for a more expensive one. I want to keep the exact same group of fish, since they all get along very well, i dont want to add more fish, i dont really want to get rid of fish.

the plan is to move the 29g up to something much bigger, then put the crawdad and maybe a small school of something into the 29g. then all will be right in my fish world...for a good length of time anyways.

please i understand im not an expert at keeping fish...I am just trying. I hope yall understand my thought process...

im sorry that my tanks arent perfect for all of you, but im sure youve all made mistakes in the past too. I plan on doing the next one right, and keeping the stock low enough that these 3 cichlids and the pleco can get along, and have some nice terrain to move around in. Ive been reading about cycling and what not to make sure that when i do get a tank i can have it running well and fast, and not lose any fish in the process.

again i appreciate everyones help in these forums, and the interesting reads that come from some members. Ive learned alot about fish keeping in the last month or 2 (been unemployed full time student with little to no hw so i had nothing better to do) and i am going to apply that knowledge soon (just had a really great interview today, hope i scored the job!).

im sorry if anyone on this forum is upset with me, i hope i have explained myself well...This was my plan before my oscar got sick...and i came to you guys for help with that and was very saddened to see my post go ignored for almost 2 days. I hope my oscar is not sick or infected with something, and he seems to have healed a little in the past few days. he does still not have the same energetic personality that im use to, but hopefully that will come back soon.

sorry for the long read...just had to get all that off my chest. thanks.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
because the only fish im willing to give up is the plecostamous...and really not even him...what would be the point of giving up the fish and then moving to a bigger tank? i dont really think i would get much for my fish anyways...although i guess i could contact the couple of fish only stores and see....

idk ive raised all of these from littler fish to bigger fish, and i would like to keep raising them in such a way. ive been watching craigs list for a tank in my price range, and hopefully will find one/or save up for a more expensive one. I want to keep the exact same group of fish, since they all get along very well, i dont want to add more fish, i dont really want to get rid of fish.

the plan is to move the 29g up to something much bigger, then put the crawdad and maybe a small school of something into the 29g. then all will be right in my fish world...for a good length of time anyways.

please i understand im not an expert at keeping fish...I am just trying. I hope yall understand my thought process...

im sorry that my tanks arent perfect for all of you, but im sure youve all made mistakes in the past too. I plan on doing the next one right, and keeping the stock low enough that these 3 cichlids and the pleco can get along, and have some nice terrain to move around in. Ive been reading about cycling and what not to make sure that when i do get a tank i can have it running well and fast, and not lose any fish in the process.

again i appreciate everyones help in these forums, and the interesting reads that come from some members. Ive learned alot about fish keeping in the last month or 2 (been unemployed full time student with little to no hw so i had nothing better to do) and i am going to apply that knowledge soon (just had a really great interview today, hope i scored the job!).

im sorry if anyone on this forum is upset with me, i hope i have explained myself well...This was my plan before my oscar got sick...and i came to you guys for help with that and was very saddened to see my post go ignored for almost 2 days. I hope my oscar is not sick or infected with something, and he seems to have healed a little in the past few days. he does still not have the same energetic personality that im use to, but hopefully that will come back soon.

No ones upset with you if you are sincere about getting information from us through these threads and using the knowledge you gain to the best of your ability.

It sucks not for us or for you, but for your fish that they have to be jam packed in a 29. I personally am shocked they are alive, or havent busted up the tank yet because there has to be little room for movement with all the fish cramped in there, Esp the pleco. When your pleco sits on one of the walls it basically covers the height of the tank no? lol...

If you keep fishing on Craigslist you should be able to find a 75-100G tank for 125-150.00 used with a stand sometimes. If you have any source of income I would start sasving a little now, you should be able to manage $$$ for one in 2-3 months.

For now, make sure you are doing water changes frequently. The thing that amazes me most aside from no fight breakouts, is that they are living OKAY in the bioload. I've actually known adult plecos to live okay in filthy water, my friend has a 75G and until this past summer his fam didn't start doing frequent water changes and theyve had the tank for 11 years, and it was because I said something. So sometimes, just sometimes fish learn to adapt in what appears to be unmanageable living, but don't make this a habit.

GL with your tank

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
yeah i do pretty regular water changes, i think its been about once a week. if not once a week at least once every 2 weeks.

the pleco actually lived in a 29g that my grandfather used to keep his pond fish indoors during the winter...it was covered in algae. then his tank sprung a leak and i really like plecos.....so i bought the 29g to replace my 10g, specifically for his fish. it was a nice deal because i used one of his old filters, and added another one to help filter more.

hari-goshi

Medium Fish
Jan 17, 2009

Chances are you will end up losing them anyway , why not give the fish another chance to live? We are telling you whats wrong . Your tank is incredibly overstocked. You are not going to be able to fix the situation until you understand that. If you dont want to listen than fine , but we dont have any loopholes or secrets that are going to magically make this crazy setup work. Your fish are going to be very unhealthy and probably dead soon unless you address that ASAP. The best you can hope for is that some live until you get a bigger setup.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
its like you didnt even read it...im not asking what is wrong, i realize that it is overstocked and i am working my way to fixing that soon. I dont want to give up these fish, because they get along together very well...for a pack of "aggressive" fish.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
don't sweat it iexiak since some don't read the posts correctly. just take the info given and give it your best shot. you are learning.

some say the same thing over and over and that is only because we see a lot of ppl making the same mistakes over and over. alot of noobs make the same mistakes as most of us have made. heck when i started i had 11 fish in a 10 gal tank and didn't have a clue what was going on. i got lucky and found a very knowledgable fish keeper who steered me in the right direction. needless to say i only have one fish left from that disaster over a yr ago.

don't get discuraged just keep with your plan best you can and of course make it happen as soon as you can. read the posts from other noobs and you will see what i'm saying about the same questions and problems over and over.

if your water condition persists and you don't do the water changes your oscar could develop hole in the head disease and will eventually kill it. oscars are know for this disease and its usually from poor water quality. so as others have advised please do your water changes as frequently as possible. we here would hate to hear another sad story. best of luck to you.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
yeah i do pretty regular water changes, i think its been about once a week. if not once a week at least once every 2 weeks.
Below is the post in your other thread, I am not trying to beat you up but the below post seems to be the opisite of the one above. I am not trying to bash you but I cant tell if your sincere or full of it because the one below to me reads like you really dont care and just want a simple answer to a question that is more complex than you seem to realize. We are trying to help you, I am not upset with you but to think this post was going to recieve a positive response is crazy because the simple question gets pushed to the side because of the inhabitants and it becomes another issue entirely.

its been overstocked for a while, survived a move of 100 miles, and my failures (i boiled the rocks when i moved the tank to clean them...doh). i do sometimes take my water to the lfs to get it tested, but ive never invested that much thought into worrying about the absolute cleanliness of my water. i do water changes when i can and my fish have lived great up until this point.

iexiak

Medium Fish
Jan 13, 2008
Below is the post in your other thread, I am not trying to beat you up but the below post seems to be the opisite of the one above. I am not trying to bash you but I cant tell if your sincere or full of it because the one below to me reads like you really dont care and just want a simple answer to a question that is more complex than you seem to realize. We are trying to help you, I am not upset with you but to think this post was going to recieve a positive response is crazy because the simple question gets pushed to the side because of the inhabitants and it becomes another issue entirely.
yeah sorry if i seem all over the place i havent slept since yesterday. i do water changes at least biweekly, but i try to do one every week, and pretty much have been for a while.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I responded in your other thread since this one was a simple question about a heater and therefore any other posts about the stocking, etc should IMO be put in that thread since the question asked has been answered.