Temperature Regulation

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
It is 95 degrees in my house some days. I have turned my heater on the lowest setting and the temp still is hot. My tank is a 55 gallon. The fish seem fine. In the morning when I wake the temp is a lot lower. How can I keep the temp. consistent?

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
If the ambient temp is 95 you are going to have difficulty in keeping it regulated. The best you can do short of airconditioning is to place a fan to maintain an airflow over the tank. That will carry off SOME of the heat.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
No reason to turn the heater up and down. If the heater is working right, it shouldnt turn on if the water temp is over that of the thermostat.

If the tank is getting hot, be sure that you have no ammonia in the tank and that the fish have plenty of oxygen. At higher temp's, ammonia is much more toxic and there is less available oxygen for the fish.

timisu87

Large Fish
Oct 15, 2004
Visit site
Frequent water changes help tremendously... I would say to take off the cover of your tank and place a fan bowling right across it, I do this but i've had 2 fish jump out.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
aeration will NOT cool the water off if the air temp is HOT, it will only mix more hot air with the water, but at least aeration will add more oxygen to the water, which is important when temps rise. If you are going to have this kind of heat all summer and not just as a fluke, then I'd just let the fish adapt to the higher temps, and keep the waste levels (ammonia, nitrate,...) as low as possible.