Temperature TOO Hot

jrella

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2007
I apparently left my aquarium light on for longer than usual the temp is reading 89 degress, whats the best way to get it down, cause I hear this weekends weather is gonna be in the high 80's, I have a salt mix ready to go but that water is nearly just as warm, I was considering floating some ice in a plastic baggies to avoid changing the water, any ideas ????

jrella

Small Fish
Aug 2, 2007
My light and my fan are one unit so i cant just turn the fan on, the water cant get any higher in temp, do u think i need to do something or just wait for it to go down

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You can use any kind of fan to blow across the surface, the kind you use in a room.

Increasing the surface movement might help too, you could point a powerhead towards the surface.

I guess it's time for you to buy a timer for your lights :) They're only about $5 at a home improvement store.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
As for the ice thing, i am not sure about salt water concerns but i have five 20 oz bottles filled with ice that i now place in tank if it breaks 82 degrees, then within 24 hours the temp is back to norm for my fish. No water transfer from tank to bottle as they are sealed so it shouldn't harm Salt water i think as well.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i guess im lucky i have a ceiling fan right above my tank ;) ... if you cant keep the tank cool try running the lights less when its hotter out

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
What I do is take a good size bucket and fill it with the water from the tank the night before. Cover the bucket and put it in the fridge. Next day if the water in the tank is too warm, I put the same cold water back. Of course the water shouldn’t be in the fridge for too long but over night its not a big deal…and I pour the cold water in the sump, not the main tank so the fish don’t freak out or feel the sudden temp. change. But with the sump, it will go in the tank slowly without the fish freaking out…

A fan works but I doubt you will be able to bring the temp down 10 degrees. If you have a sump, just have the fan on the sump because smaller amount of water will cool much faster…

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i guess im lucky i have a ceiling fan right above my tank ;) ... if you cant keep the tank cool try running the lights less when its hotter out
lol lucky u.

for the people that dont have ceiling fans...u can try PC fans. i have a 10g tank and running a 12v fan at 7.5v-9 (12v is too noisy) it keeps my temperature in the 78-81 degrees.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
how about after all this talk about tanks heating up my a/c broke yesterday *SICK* ... i got home from work and the temp in my tank was 85 :eek: it normally ranges from 79-81 .... i just got it fixed so problem solved and nothing appears to be damaged so far.. i guess that what i get for bragging :p

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
Here in California, temp reaches 110, my tank sometimes goes up to 87 degree, everthing in the tank seems to be ok.
That’s so true. These past few weeks we easily had over 112 temperature. It was a pain. You cant even think without breaking a sweat. First thing I did when I woke up is get that fan started for the poor fish. After about 12 hours of fan blowing on the water, temperature went down from like 85 to 81 ha ha …so I though of putting some tank water in the fridge over night…works great.

Thank god things are cooling down a bit here in Cali. But guess we can appreciate winters here…

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
luckily the heat is guna be dieing down soon ... it sucked though i work in the sun sweating my a** off all day then to come home to a hot house its just terrible..... then to top it off i just bought the house i live in a few months back so i had to pay to fix the a/c myself

alex8111

Medium Fish
Aug 31, 2007
I never had to buy a heater for my tank. It has never been cold enough (even winter) for the water to get too cold. Last time had my tank set-up (few years back), in winter, my tank was a perfect 77. A chiller is a must for me but a heater, not at all. Too bad they are so expensive.

A poor person will always find a way to cool down. It makes us think harder for solutions ha ha ha and some really creative ways of cooling down come to mind lol...Burning-Man would appreciate the art & talent of the marine aquarist lol