temporary schooling

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I have a 10 G and I've noticed that my cories schooled endlessly the first few days. After a while, they become more relaxed and seldomly school. I haven't had any experience with tetras (although I will in the future *thumbsups ), but I've read similar experiences as well.

Is this because the tank is not large enough to accomodate the swimming required for schools?

Or is it because I only have 3 bronze cories (2 albino, 1 standard)?

Or is it because of the other fish I have in the tank (swordtail, 2 platies)?

*PEACE!*

Igor The Cat

Superstar Fish
Jul 14, 2003
Seattle, Washington
i think a lot of it has to do with stress, because when the fish are stressed out they become more defensive and so they school very closely, but after a while they relize that there is no eminent danger so they relaxe their schooling habits.

cheers

-Java

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
I have a tank full of Tetra and they only will school when stressed. For example during water changes they will school. If they are not schooling it is because they are not stressed and are comfortable with their surroundings.

fishtrap

Large Fish
Mar 19, 2005
My rasboras are intermittent schoolers as well. But they will sometimes school rather tightly and bump each other around when they are establishing their "pecking order".

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
my neon tetras school occasionally, but normally they just stick in the same general area, sometimes goin off on their own. my glo-lights just do wwhatever they want.