tempted by MH.....

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
So, I am always looking for a deal and I stumbled across this:

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=14

looks like a nice setup which would definitely be an upgrade from the coralife PCs for my 55...thing is, its time to replace the PC bulbs anyhoo so if I hit up the MH now the relative cost (including shipping) for that setup is $150 at the most. not too shabby at all. so, the big question is: has anyone used the Odyssea stuff? any opinions?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I know I'm not a saltie (yet), but we did order a Odyssea PC fixture from that site. It works OK, but I think the fan is unbalanced, and makes a fair amount of noise when it first goes on in the morning. That may just be our particular model. The bands that stablilze the bulbs also snapped from the heat, so I guess they weren't made of the right material. It hasn't blown up, though. :D I'd say the great price outweighs the less-than-perfect aspects. It looks fine, not too tacky or anything.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
well, seeing as how im at work when the lights come on that won't bug me ;) the little bands on every PC fixture i've ever had snapped so im not so worried about that either. so all and all you sound satisfied enough that you have increased my temptation...another quick question now that im thinking about it: how stable are the mounting legs?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The ones on the PC fixture would be fine if our tank were exactly standard size. For some reason, our 55g frame is slightly longer than it should be. Ours are the type that clamp onto the frame with some screws. In general, it seems to be fairly sturdy, but they're not the same as the MH fixture legs. I took a look at the 17" fixture legs on that site (better angle to see them), and they look like they will be OK.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
ok, yep im checking those out now...they do look nice and sturdy. i can always do a little tapping if i need to move the legs a smidge...im handy like that ;)

this is looking more and more like a very good option...just have to decide if i want to (ok, if i can afford to) upgrade the tank following the impending move or if i want to order that puppy

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Man, I think I'd go for it. I'm so glad I went for my 96 watt light as opposed to a 60 or god forbid, that 30 wat. And this MH fixture sounds top notch... made up your mind yet, camaro? :)

Lotus said:
I know I'm not a saltie (yet)
Why Lotus, that sounds pretty suggestive... ;)

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
definitely want SPS in the future...but i think i may hold off un the upgrade until after the impending july move. depending on the kind of place i end up in (rented house, apt, A/C or no, etc) there may be compatability issues.

as far as the fixture, im not convinced its actually top notch, but at that price even a half notch MH is a good deal ;)

lotus, we look forward to welcoming you and ecotank into the fold

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would find out what the ballasts and bulbs are. You need to know what the ballasts are so that if you don't like the 'colour' you can trade up to a different brand and know it will work.

It looks good and cheap within those provisos.