Tempted. of Joining the Darkside hehe

Well I am getting even more tempted to start a nano. I already know the basics of what I need:

Tank(of course)
Eggcrate
Lighting
Heater
Thermometer
2 Powerheads
Hydrometer
Sea Salt
Aragonite or some white sand
Live Rock
(anytrhing else)

But the thing is, is that I would need to buy things seperately and the only kind of lighting close buy is 15 watt flourescent but I would like to keep some sort of corals(possibly Mushrooms).

So would I be able to pull this off with having a few types of mushrooms and maybe a hermit crab and some small fish?

EDIT:
Also I read that you have to feed some mushrooms/corals. Is this true and how do I go about doing this?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Here is what you should go price out at your LFS or online to get started:
-Tank & Stand
-Light (I would also invest the extra $10-20 for an auto On/Off timer)
-Powerhead(s)
-Heater(s) (I personally preffer using 2 smaller wattage heaters over 1 higher wattage, the reason is there is less chance of boiling or chilling your tank if one heater goes on the fritz)
-Thermometer
-RO water
-Saltmix (Get the big bucket as it is quite a lot cheaper in the long run... and you will end up using it all anyway)
-SW test Kits (pH, Alkalinity, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite)
-Hydrometer
-Substrate
-LR
-Syphon and bucket (don't forget about your water changes)

For lighting you would be very limited even on mushrooms with that, why not get a 36w, 2x36w, or 65w 24" Coralife compact florecent fixture any of these would work great and allow you to grow a variety of corals.

Okay. So I would pretty much have an overlapping light? I cant really afford to get the saltwater starter kit so I need to do all this 1 by 1. Would I be able to use the same syphon as the one I use for my FW tanks? I can get most of this at petsmart excpet the LR, RO water, and eggcrate. I have another question lol. Can I use a Hood or is Eggcrate better. I can get a good hood and light for cheap across the street for 30 all together but if I go eggcrate then I will need need $5 for the eggcrate and 30 for the light itself.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
That hood you can get for $30 is probably just a basic fluorescent strip, 13w or so. On the 10g that I have planned for Christmas for my sister, I am going to use a 20" 96w PC. I'm sure you could find one on eBay for cheap if you looked hard enough. My main point is, that $30 strip isn't going to support the mushrooms even. I would say you need atleast 40w of PC to support them, and that hood will allow for less gas exchange for your water. If you skimp out on some items now, you may end up buying them later anyways, and regret it.

Good Luck.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
find out if it is fiji, tonga, marshall Island, most likely it is fiji, it is probably your best bet since you get to cherry pick the rock and you dont have a big enough tank to order it from online.