Test Kits?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Dumb question but...

I already have kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, hardness, alkalinity...that I'm using for my Freshwater tank.

Can I use the same kits for a SW tank? Or do i need to buy a new set?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
you will need to buy a new kit.

A salt water master kit from big als is like 13 dollars and well worth it! The only test that are for both saltwater and freshwater use is Nitrite I think, but either way you will need a new salt water test kit.

The test kit is by Aquarium Pharmacuticals btw

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
ya my test kit sux (well I broke like 2 beekers, lol) but it only has nitrite, ph, nitrate, and amonia. NO alkalinity, or hardness.( wich I realy dont understand were you tank should be on those) but I think I need a better one... with alkalinity, or hardness test..

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Actually I'm pretty sure depending on the AP kit you have ammonia, nitrite, pH, nitrate all have two color charts, one for salt and one for fresh, same chemicals.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I use the AP sw master test kit (pH, Ammonia, NO3, nitrite) and I can't say I'm that thrilled....it seems Salifert makes great test kits (marinedepot.com has em cheap)

pH, NO3, Ca, Alk is all you really need for a basic reef setup...

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
oh i currently have the Red Sea Freshwater Master kit...

guess I need to get a SW one. i didnt think I would need a diff set of kits for SW..interesting.

Has anyone tried the strip kit that comes in small cylinder bottles? forgot the name brand but its supposedly "laboratory grade" and tests for ammonia, ph, nitriate, nitrite all in one strip.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
yamahaguy06 said:
??, I'm lost. sorry froggy. it is a salt only test kit...
Yamaha...sorry I wasn't talking to you. I was trying to help with Grymatta's question.

I guess I'm just used to my AquariumPharmaceutical tests...so no, it wouldn't apply to Red Sea. The AP ammonia kit is Fresh&Salt, same with nitrate and KH (as advertised on petsmart.com :) if ya dont believe me) I just knew that when fiddling with my test kits a lot of times there's two color charts in there and I never had to use any of them except the freshwater.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Salifert. It's not bad, although I don't use it as much more than a yes/no test. I have strong opinions as to the 'amazing accuracy' some people seem to be able to get from their test kits.