test result question

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Ok this is confusing. :confused: I have a Freshwater Master Test Kit made bye Aquarium Pharmaceutical's.
I tested my water this morning and this is what results that my tests show

PH 7.2
NITRITES 2.0
NITRATES 20
AMMONIA 2.5

I just got back from taking a water sample to my LFS and they used the QUICK DIP tests. They had 3 different bottles, and she wrote down the results for me and even showed me what they were and here they are:

PH 8.4
CHLORINIE 0
AMMONIA .25
NITRITE 10
NITRATE 50
HARDNESS 300
ALKALINITY 180

my nitrite and nitrate is way off from between the 2 tests. Why are the 2 tests so different and it's the same water.
And which of the results do I go by? And what are they telling me???

I got a brainy idea to test their Nitrite level in their water, so when I brought some home I tested it with my Nitrite tester and sure enough theirs is 0. Whats going on?

Grrrrr this is confusing :confused:

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
test strips are notorious for being very inaccurate. Liquid tests are much more trustworthy, tests such as the one you have. Try testing yours again, and see if it gives you the same results. If you know of any other LFSs, then perhaps you can see if you can get another opinion there. But again, I wouldn't trust a test strip at all.

Apr 7, 2005
NE Ohio
If I was you I wouldn't trust the dip test kits. I've heard nothing good, and I've never had good readings using them. Now unless they're Nitrite reading is actually 1.0mg/l that's not nearly as bad as 10. Of course you want that at zero, but 10 is just not even on the charts. If you have any other doubts, find a friend or an LFS that doesn't test with the dip sticks, and see what it comes out as.

If you're tank has been cycling properly for a while, then your test readings are more realistic then what the LFS came out at. When and doubt, run your tests again tonight, and see if you get around the same results. If you do, trust yours.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
The dip test strips my LFS uses are unreliable as well. Be careful of the results you get from there. Once when testing my water they laid the test strip down on the counter (which was wet), so who's water were they really testing, mine or theirs on the counter? Check your tap water as well, as nitrates can exist in tap water. It is as important to know what comes out of your tap as what ends up in your tank at test time.

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
NoDeltaH2O after I read what you wrote. They did the same thing to me. They tested it then laid it on the counter. So thanks for that tid bit. *thumbsups

So this morning, I did a water change about 15% and waited about 1 and half hours then tested again.
Now they are

PH 7.0
AMMONIA 0 (yeah)
NITRATES 20 (boo)
NITRITES 1.0 (so they are coming down yeah)

Should I have that nitrate spike like it is?
My tank maybe soon cycled????? *twirlysmi

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
yes the nitrate spike means your tank is finishing up its cycle! The nitrates are the end result of the cycle and you take them out by doing water changes...so when you do a water change those will go down.