test results

merc1500

Medium Fish
Dec 11, 2008
virginia beach virginia
i got a master test kit today and i tested both of my stocked tanks and heres the result please comment on them im new at testing

old 10g
ammonia 4.0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0

2.5g mini bow set up dec 10th
ammonia 4.0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0

should the result be the same for both tanks is this good or bad

thanks

Jun 21, 2008
I'll just agree with what everyone else said and say that you need to do some immediate water changes to get that ammonia down below 1.0. If you're worried about your testing, most stores will test a sample of your water for free for you.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
If you haven't already, get some Prime fast. I would do a 50% water change in both tanks and then treat them with Prime to protect your fish.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
If you fed them today. I would not feed them for a couple days, then feed them then do a water change shortly after feeding. Keep changing the water, if your using HOB filters you may have to refill them to prime them after large water changes, set out enough old water to do this, adding tap water or fresh water added to the tank will most likely have chlorine in it and kill any bacteria.

Also READ the instruction manual when doing the tests, some things have to be done by the book to get accurate readings, and the guide on the back of the cards doesnt tell you exactley what to do, it is a guide for once your comfortable.

merc1500

Medium Fish
Dec 11, 2008
virginia beach virginia
i feel like a dummy not only id i overstocked my ten gallon but i stocked it to fast im banging my head in to the wall right now i should kno better i have had fish all my life but my question is if i keep the ammonia below 1.0 will the bio filteration eventully catch up or will i be doing 25 percent water changes everyday or every other day all the tanks life

thanks

merc1500

Medium Fish
Dec 11, 2008
virginia beach virginia
i threw my old whisper 10i in there today to hopefully speed up the bio build up it has a marineland 100b bio wheel filter usaully so now im running a 10i and the marineland the waters crystal clear and currently below 1.0 ammonia

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
For a 10 gallon you're fine. The bacteria will easily build up to handle those little guys.
Your tank is well stocked, but I think you'll be ok. I wouldn't add any more.
Are you adding Prime or something similar to help protect the little guys from the ammonia and nitrite?

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
If your planning on removing it anyway, I would just take it out now and let the other filters build up the bacteria necessary to keep your tank balanced.

Also, ammo lock will give you false positive readings on your ammonia. Just want to make sure you're aware of that.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Prime is indeed good stuff. Read the directions carefully.

If the temperature is good/close, a 50% change is better than two 25% changes.
However, any water change is better than no change at all.