Tested - what do these mean?

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
Ammonia ~ 1.0

Nitrite ~ .5

Nitrate ~ Somewhere between 5-10

btw - just got tank running last Friday and added the bio-spira and a couple disposible fish

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2007
According to my quick dip strips the ammonia is a little high. 0 tp .25ppm would be better. More water changes to bring that down.

Your Nitrate and Nitrite look good to me. Considered on the safe side. Let's see what others have to say. But from what I have learned from the people on this board is water changes should bring those numbers down.

Correct me if I am wrong.

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
your readings are all messed up right now... Wait for a couple more days and then test. The bacteria build up will be more accurate. But, to answer the question, the ammonia is a little high... :)

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Your tank is cycling. If the ammonia goes above 1, it will start affecting your fish.

If you dosed the Bio-Spira correctly, you shouldn't be seeing those figures. How many of what kind of fish did you add to what size tank?

I personally don't understand the concept of "disposable fish" when it's unnecessary, but I guess you've chosen that path. :)

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
My bad, that came out wrong. I was told I needed to add some fish when I add the bio-apira. Not be able to confirm or deny this statement, I added my 3 of my cheapest fish, not my pricey ones, just in case they didn't make it.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Well, with the ammonia that high, it's time to do a water change.

Is this your 200g tank? If so, did you add anything from another tank?

To be honest, in a new large tank with only a few fish, ammonia shouldn't be that high. Perhaps this is another tank.

MikeS

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2006
Nor Cal
No this is my 210. Nothing was transfered from the other tank. It is still in use with all the other fish in it. Just did another test to see if it is any different. It came up 0.50 Guess I will test it again in the morning.