Testing Schedule

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I couldn't find the thread with this info in there so here goes.

When should I test the different tests?

I have nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, PH, Hardness - I think it's called KDH tests. When should I test each? Do I have to do them all at the same time?

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
you should probably test at least once a week or twice.. im really bad about testing tho.. i don't think ive done a test this month.. but since i have alot of live rock that came from a tank that was running and i do a 10% WC a week i really shouldn't have anything in my water... that's totally my opinion and i may get yelled at but hey nothings died so i must be doing something right

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I dont test all that often either, only if I notice something strange...also for you guys who have pulsing xenia that can be an indicator of ph which will tell you about your other tests as well, if it stops pulsing usually it is because the ph is below 8.1

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
yea i beleive it does.. about the "pulsing" of the xenia i can't really go by that b/c some of the xenia doesn't pulse at all but the pompom i just got does nothing but pulse haven't seen it stop..

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I don't test much now 'cause my tank is getting older, but i used to test :
PH every 1-2 day(s), nitrates 3-5 day(s), ammonia when it smelled ;) , Ca weekly, Alk weekly, Po4 monthly;
It really depends on your livestock. If you have an overload of inverts, Ca, Mg, Alk should be tested often unless you have a Ca reactor