testing water with kits

May 3, 2006
Hi all,

I am looking for a test kit for nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. I would like something more accurate than those dip ones. Any recommendations on what I should get. Thanks as always.

May 15, 2006
Central Maine
I just ordered the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit from Drs. Foster and Smith. I was told it's a good kit. It does Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH. They have it on sale right now, too, $14.99. Their shipping is a little high but that's still a good deal. My LFS had it for $35.00.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Those are the kits I use. I usually opt to buy them seperately, but if you need all of them at the same time dr fosters & smith and bigals usually have good prices on the whole kit online.

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
I also use the AP test kit and it works great. I have seen it for about $30 in stores. Sounds like it may be less online. The one I have tests pH, Ammonia, NitrItes, NitrAtes, and Hardness.

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
The myth is that dip stick test are inaccurate is entirely false. They contains the almost the same chemicals that liquid test contains. The problem with these dip stick is their effectiveness due to age. Once a bottle is opened, these sticks are exposed to air and oxidation of these regent make these stick inaccurate over time.

Rohn

jaws

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2006
testing kits

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals kits are the best. Keep all vials clean and never mixed one vial or another. I label each vial which makes it easier. Get a piece of 2x4 and drill four holes and place each vial in. A syringe is helpful two as it is easier to fill the vials up with water.