Tetra Lifespan

Sep 16, 2005
my boyfriend managed to keep one alive for six years, back in the days before water changes and dechlorinator and all that fancy stuff.

so yeah, i guess they can live pretty long.

then again, i've seen fairly small ones go belly-up days after purchase.

P.S.: that puppy in your sig is the cutest!

cpatval

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, the lifespan seems to vary for me. I just lost one of my tetras and i believe i only had her for 3 years. No visible sign of sickness and water conditions are fine.

(p.s: thanks for noticing my pup!)

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
geekrockgirl85 said:
my boyfriend managed to keep one alive for six years, back in the days before water changes and dechlorinator and all that fancy stuff.

so yeah, i guess they can live pretty long.

then again, i've seen fairly small ones go belly-up days after purchase.

P.S.: that puppy in your sig is the cutest!

What do you mean before water changes? Did people not used to do them? Come to think of it, my mom never changed any water in my tank when we had a 10g when I was a kid, and we had guppies that bred like rabbits...
I think top-offs is enough to keep the water healthy.

ONeill074

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2005
New Jersey
KyleBradley said:
What do you mean before water changes? Did people not used to do them? Come to think of it, my mom never changed any water in my tank when we had a 10g when I was a kid, and we had guppies that bred like rabbits...
I think top-offs is enough to keep the water healthy.
I disagree. Just because the fish survived without water changes, that doesn't mean that the water is healthy. Unless you consider swimming around in your own "waste" healthy. Also, Nitrates will build up to high levels without water changes.