Tetracycline in Tank - longwinded :)

Nov 10, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
I am new to the aquarist world, I have a 29g high that has been established for about 5 months. The only new occurance is one or both of my mollies giving birth. I managed to catch 6 of the fry and put them in a breeder box, and I will be setting up a new tank for them in the meantime, as my 29g has become a bit overstocked. I always keep my parameters in check and do at least a 10% water change every week to two weeks.

5 glass cats
2 corys
2 mollies
(6 mollie fry)
2 guppies
1 bullnose pleco
3 snails

Well after the fry I noticed my guppies tails looking a bit raggedy. I didn't think anything of it and I thought that it might have been nipping from a grumpy mollie.

Then I noticed a red spot on one of my glass cats dorsal fins.

So I figured this to be some sort of bacterial thing and dosed the tank with tetracycline. I finished the course of meds and everyone looks a lot better. I am still treating with melafix just to take care of any lingering funk that might be in there. I also am feeding the antibacterial food. The glass cats don't like it so much so I give them some flakes when no one else is looking.

My question to you all is (finally, hehe)... How do I get rid of this terrible red color in my tank? I have tested eveything and the parameters are good. Since I am still treating with melafix I don't want to do a 25% water change every few days, but I can't even check on my kiddoes in the tank anymore. I can't see anything between the red and the foamy goo that forms on the top and blocks the light. I clean the foam out about 3 times a day.

I put a carbon bag in my filter. How often should I be doing these water changes and to what percentage of water change?

Thanks in advance :)

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
This is what I would do:
Day 1: 75% water change.
Day 2: 25% water change as well as clean the carbon. If not replace it.
Day 3: Relax a bit
Day 4: 50% water change.
Day 5: Clean or Replace carbon.
Day 6: 50% water change.
Day 7: See what it all looks like. By this time you have changed the water out twice in a week. Keep on top of you water specs. You might have a mini Cycle, due to all the water changes. If you have a spone in your fiter then keep it in there it will keep some of the good bacteria alive.

MAHA