Tetra's

Bruno

Small Fish
Mar 29, 2010
We bought 3 tetra's for our 2 week old tank. They appear happy and very active but they have not eaten in the 3 days they have been in the tank. Is this normal for them? They seem to swim right by the food when it is offered. Our other fish are going at it full speed at feeding time.

Bruno

Small Fish
Mar 29, 2010
We just had the water tested and it was "perfect". The guy at the store said try feeding the tetras at night bcause our plattys get very active during daytime feeding.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
One time, I went to Petsmart to get my tank water tested. They said it was perfect. I didn't believe them and got a liquid test kit. The water tested veryyyyyyyyyy high for ammonia that would be LETHAL to fish. Please buy a liquid test kit and do not trust the pet store. They just want their business and do not care if your fish die because you will just buy more fish from them.

Bruno

Small Fish
Mar 29, 2010
It is a 30 gallon tank, 3 platy's 3 tetra's. A few small plants. I do need a test kit anyway so we will try these ideas and if it does not work go back to the drawing board.

Bruno

Small Fish
Mar 29, 2010
Sure enough, we turned off the tank light, waited a half hour, dropped in some food and sure enough, the Tetra's ate and the Platies stayed away for the most part. Now I am going to have to do 2 feedings a day unless they change their morning feeding behavior.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
they are not used to the feeding schedule. After a few days a new fish will get hungry enough to finally tune in to the tank's feeding schedule and it will try to forget the old feeding schedule that it was used to back at the store :)