Thanks for the help!! One more Question

Jan 23, 2006
I had the plecos that were dying. I did a 20% water change, and added some ph regulator called Bullseye 7.0 by Wardley, and some amonia eliminator called ACE by Jungle. I tested using Quick Dip Ammonia test strips also by Jungle. My ammonia levels are "safe" but not yet "ideal". I'm fine with that because if I would have put that test strip in before the change I'm sure it would have turned black. Within an hour my plecos showed improvement, and my koi also seemed to appreciate it. They all became very active and somewhat aggresive or maybe just playful. One koi is always diong tail slaps on every vertical object it the tank, I had to take the glass heater out for fear he would break it!
I know these probably are not the best products to use, but I live in a rural area and thats what Wal Mart had. Can someone recommend some better products to use when I can get up town to a pet shop?
Thanks again for the info given here, if not for you guys (and gals) I would minus 2 plecos.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
What size is your tank? I know what you mean about WM being your own lfs. I have the hardest time passing up fish in WM because I hate the 35 minute drive to Chillicothe!

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I would stop using the Bullseye and limit using the ammonia neutraliser to this emergency only. You're far better off continuing to do water changes (even larger ones if possible 1/3+) than relying on chemicals to solve your problem. You need to dilute the ammonia and, once the nitrifying bacteria get going, the nitrites. So long as your pH is steady and not incredibly high or low, your fish will do fine -- stability is good.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
yeah, try not to use chemicals. it can sometimes do more harm than good. it's better to get to the source of your problem. i'd imagine the ammonia problem is due to the messy fish you have (two plecs and a koi - any other fish?) unless your tank is newly setup, then it is cycling. how long has your tank been set up???

i would re-think your fish... koi are cold water fish, plecs are tropicals. i'd get rid of the koi and add some other tropicals.

what does your pH typically stay at before you use the buffer?

if your situation, i'd urge to buy your products/fish online (dr fosters and smith or big als). then it can come right to your door :)

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Yeah, I was considering doing the same thing but I just couldn't justify spending $25.00 shipping on a $3-4.00 fish! It is either walmart for the cheapies and pray all goes well or drive to the other cities where therea re like 3 on one block!!!!!! Makes me sooo mad. I try to get up there as often as I can.