The algea from hell (something other then roaches would survive a nuclear holocaust)

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Any ideas on getting rid of super-surviving algea? My water is terming with it, and the stuff has bounced back from a week-long black-out... Also algeafix... Just when I think it's gone, it hits again. My plants are threatening to die from lack of light but this stuff keeps coming back. And now I'm getting worried that it will effect the health of the fish. Am I being paranoid?
Any suggestions? Ive changed the filter alway once when I thought I finally had it under control. I don't want to over-clean the tank for obvious reasons.
Thanks in advance!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Is your nitrate high? This is normally the biggest cause of algae but, not always. To much natural sunlight can cause this as well. If the the nitrates are high increasing your weekly water changes will help. If there is a lot of natural light try to keep the blinds darkened.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
The nitrates are testing back a very low (tho all I have are the test strips and I don't have the cash flow this week to get the liquid kit). I can't do much more about the natural light coming in, the blinds only darken out so much. My plants in the tank are starting to die, but this stuff keeps coming back.
Outside of aesthetics, do I need to worry about fish health? It can't be good for them ro constantly be taking in so much algea...
Thanks!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Your fish should be ok if you are doing weekly water changes, the algae gives off oxygen so they will not suffocate. The liquid test is much better, I have used the strips before and was not impressed at all. And only 25 tests per package compared to the liquid test kit makes it pretty expensive. Keep up on the weekly changes and your algae problem should go away pretty quick.

What kind of algae are we talking about?
Regardless of the kind, your fish will be just fine. Have you ever seen what the Amazon River actually looks like? The thing is like a soup.

You mentioned that you have live plants.
What kind of plants (fast/slow growing, High/low light, etc).
How long are your lights on (when you're not doing a black out)?
What kind of lighting do you have?
Are you adding additional fertilizers of any kind? If so, what?
Are you injecting CO2?
Also, just to clarify - this is your 29 Gallon?

Algae is natural in a fish tank. Too much indicates that the balance of nutrients, light, and co2 is off. We just need to figure out what's going on...
Also, ambient light in the room isn't going to be a significant contributing factor to "out of control" algae. If you get direct sunlight - that would do it.

Jonathan

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
This is one of my 29g tanks. It's got a few moderate-light plants that are petty fast-growing, tho I have no idea what they actually are. They were some lose plants I got at petco a while back. No swords in this tank.
The light is on a 10 hour cycle, as is the case with my other 3 tanks. They are on a timer, but I havn't had them on recently (never turned them back on since the black-out). It's a florescent fixture with a t5 bulb (happened to be on sale). The algea is a bright grass-green that has taken over the water.
No co2 our gets of any kind. The plants in there have done great without any of that.
I do about a10% change every weekend, but am getting no visible results with my algea problem.
I know it's more of an aesthetic thing, but I miss seeing my fish, lol.
I will have to invest in a liquid test kit next paycheck...
I'll keep on trying to get rid of the algea...
Thanks!
Chrissy

10,000k and higher bulbs may grow more green surface algae. Apparently some of it is very blue spectrum "happy." 6,500K is usually considered ideal for planted tanks.
I would do several 50% water changes over the weekend until the water is clear. Also I would set the timer to kill the lights for 1-2 hours after the first 2 hours on. I run a similar "siesta" pattern. Algae doesn't restart the photosynthesis process as well as plants do.

You should be able to do this without chemicals.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I find that my 18,000K bulbs grow some type of water born algae but its so fine I never knew I had a bloom until I clean the filters and see the green. The water always looks great, the substrate and glass are clear. Only occasionally do I have any on the glass. Higher 'K' bulbs really helped my situation.