The Amonia for the cycle. Please help.

Aug 3, 2006
Ok having problems finding Amonia with no additives. I found Clear Anomina at Walmart but it doesnt say amonia + water. It says Ammonium Hydroxide and Suractant. Will this work? If not where did you buy yours? I dont have a safeway. Also I got a 46 bow front tank and it hangs off each side of my stand about 3 inches on each side (the length) will that be ok? that the whole tank doesnt go on the stand? or do i need a bigger stand?

Last edited:

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
mickeymouselvr said:
Also I got a 46 bow front tank and it hangs off each side of my stand about 3 inches on each side (the length) will that be ok? that the whole tank doesnt go on the stand? or do i need a bigger stand?
This means it is resting on the glass bottom instead of the border? I would definitely get a bigger stand. Who knows what kind of forces would be at work on the glass in this situation.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Yeah, you want the tank to be supported by the frame, not the glass bottom. Most bow-front's have a custom stand...

As far as the ammonia goes, that's not what you want. "Surfactants" are bad. It may take some poking around, but you'll find it. My local "Nice N' Easy" (one of those gas station "markets") carries clear ammonia.

Aug 3, 2006
none of the above

FroggyFox said:
do you have albertson's? Their store brand is what I use "Simply Clean".
stores I have, Walmart- doesnt have it
Winn Dixie-havent checked there
Target
United
dollar general=doesnt have it
petco-dont have it
I believe when I knew someone looking for it before they couldnt find it anywhere like this stuff is Rare where I live, anything else I can use? i will keep looking in the meantime

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Hardware stores sometimes have pure ammonia. If you're unsure if it's pure, just shake the bottle and if it suds up then it's not pure.

As for your tank, you don't want the bottom panel o glass touching anything. I once used 4 small slats of wood under my tank that was on a slightly too small stand.

good luck

I am having a little trouble finding suitable ammonia as well. My Walmart carries a "Clear Ammonia" product but it doesn't have the sulfactants. It lists the ingredients as:

Ingredients: Softened Water, Ammonia, Chelating Agent.
Contains No Phosphorus.

It passes the "shake the bottle and see if it suds" test, but I can't find anything on the web about this "chelating agent" as it relates to ammonia or the nitrogen cycle. Is this stuff safe to cycle with? Please advise.
Thanks!
Jeremy

*GOLDFISH*